Tent Repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kbow265 08 Jan 2013
The clear plastic "window" on my tent (Blacks Octane 2) didn't seem to like the cold a few weeks ago and has cracked quite badly. I've temporarily bodged it with duct tape, but don't think this'll last.

I got a quote from a sailmaker for £40. As I paid £50 for the tent in the first place this is a bit pricy, are there any places that would do it for cheaper? Essentially, a 30cm x 40cm panel needs to be replaced.

Thanks,

Florence58.
In reply to florence58: Have you tried taking it back to Blacks and telling them what happened and seeing if there is anything they can do? i.e. is it still under warranty?
 jonnie3430 08 Jan 2013
In reply to florence58:

You could try sewing it to keep the material together, then use seam sealant to waterproof and protect the sewing? It would depend on how flexy the plastic window is, too stiff and this bodge may not work.
 jonnie3430 08 Jan 2013
In reply to airbournegrapefruit:

I like his idea better, an apologetic email telling them that it cracked and wondering if there was anything you could do to get it fixed and avoid the replacement cracking in cold weather in future may work wonders.
In reply to airbournegrapefruit: I work for a different section of the JD sport brand and could have a look at the warranty info on Thursday if you want?
How long ago did you buy it?
 henwardian 08 Jan 2013
In reply to florence58: Holes in my tent have been held shut with duck tape through many weeks of camping in all conditions. If you put it on carefully and on both sides of the damaged area, it should last just as long as your tent will.
I doubt you will find anywhere that can actually replace that panel for an amount of money that will make it worthwhile.
So if you don't like the ducktape idea I would go with a new tent or an attempt to get it replaced under warranty.
 stewieb 08 Jan 2013
In reply to florence58: Tenacious Repair Tape usually works quite well and is virtually clear so wont stand out that much, I think it is around £5 a roll assuming one is long enough for the crack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...