Tent Outer Repairing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Hutton 15 Aug 2019

Has anyone had any success repairing a fairly large tear or hole on their tent outer.

Mine is the outer from a Mac Pac micro-light.

Not paying for pro repair patch as other areas are wearing thin and it's not cost effective.

That transparent tape you can get in the red tube that you repair clothes with isn't tough enough.

Was wondering if there is any recognised tape that anyone has uses

ebdon 15 Aug 2019
In reply to Mike Hutton:

I have used spinnaker tape with some success (after some local yoofs threw a hoe through our tent in Ethiopia). It helped to glue it on with seamgrip though

Dan Arkle 15 Aug 2019
In reply to ebdon:

Spinnaker tape = amazing. 

OP Mike Hutton 16 Aug 2019
In reply to ebdon:

Thanks Ebdon. Really helpfull

OP Mike Hutton 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Thanks Dan

Dan Arkle 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Mike Hutton:

Cut the tape into nice rounded patches. 

After you put it on, really rub it in to get good adhesion. Pay particular attention to the edges. The friction heat and mechanical motion of this creates a strong bond.  You could always tape both sides of the fabric, but this is probably overkill if done properly. 

rogersavery 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Mike Hutton:

how big a patch do you need? I have some sticky sided ripstop that I have used to repair various bits of outdoor gear. It’s pink though!

Post edited at 13:01
 Andypeak 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Mike Hutton:

I've never used spinnaker tape but not much stick well to silnylon. Mud and routes did a test and said that spinnaker tape didn't really stick to silnylon in tests. You might be best sticking a patch on with silicone sealant. 

BobtheBagger 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Mike Hutton:

I know you said you don't want to use a professional repair company, but you may be pleasantly surprised at the cost. I've just used Scottish Mountain Gear in Musselburgh and they are very reasonable. 

OP Mike Hutton 23 Aug 2019
In reply to BobtheBagger:

Thanks Bob. I might try them

In reply to Dan Arkle:

Good info

In reply to rogersavery:

About 4 inch by 3 inch thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...