Tent help - exoskeleton 2p tent under 2kg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lucy.a 02 Sep 2020

Hello! 
I am looking for the dream tent and was hoping that maybe someone somewhere has the wisdom and answer! 
I'm looking for a tent where you pitch the outer first (& the inner is attached) so if it's pouring with rain it takes seconds and the inside doesn't get wet.
Also I'd like the tent to be lightweight (<2kg).
Also to fit 2 people. 
Also be less meshy on the inside as my current tent has too much tent and isn't capable of keeping my warm in the lake district summer.
Ideally also looking not to spend too much. Around £200.

Does anyone know if anything like this exists?

DaveHK 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Lucy.a:

Do you want the moon on a stick too?  

Post edited at 16:01
In reply to Lucy.a:

I'm struggling to meet your 2kg limit, but a few that come to mind are Vango Scafell, Vaude Arco 2. Realistically to be under 2kg and be for 2 real humans, it's going to be a lot of mesh or really tiny. Or really really expensive. 

Robms 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Lucy.a:

The Vango F10 Xenon UL2 meets pretty much all these criteria except price - a quick online search suggests you can pick one up for £230. There's also a version with an extended porch if you want a bit more storage space. I have no direct experience with this tent but am tempted to try it.

jbrom 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Lucy.a:

As the saying goes:

Light, strong, cheap

Pick 2

Without spending big money at the budget you are looking at Vango would be a good shout as many of their tents pitch outer first, and whilst they are not full on mountain tents would be fine for Lake District summer. However you may need to compromise on the 2kg limit.

Dan Arkle 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Lucy.a:

Vaude Terra Hogan 2p

2.2kg

Seems to be discontinued, but try ebay. My original hogan is slightly heavier heavier but has lasted 20 years.

Their updated models (taurus?) might fit the bill. 

In reply to Lucy.a:

Exoskeleton tents will have longer poles for a given internal volume, so are heavier. Flush, flysheet pole sleeves are more weight:space efficient. With practice, there's not a lot of different in time to thread poles, or clip poles. Pros and cons for both methods.

For that lightweight spec, you'll be best off looking at a tunnel, as they have higher weight:space efficiency than geodesic or semi geodesic. This does limit pitching options a little (tunnels not being self-standing).

For that target price, you're going to struggle, unless you're prepared to go somewhere like AliExpress, and buy direct from China. I've looked at the descriptions of offerings from '3F UL Gear', and they look well thought out, but what you actually get... Never seen one in the flesh. You might find useful discussions on the Trek-Lite forum, as I'm pretty sure I remember quite a few people experimenting with these sources.

Here's an example: again, I'll stress, I have no experience with this, so it's not a recommendation

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32751097576.html

Post edited at 18:24
 antony_2009 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Lucy.a:

If you think a single skin tent might suit your needs, I’m considering selling an Integral Designs MK1 XL. 

bouldery bits 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Lucy.a:

Vaude Taurus UL 2P does everythinh except is about £120 over budget. 

Post edited at 20:57
cb294 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Lucy.a:

Around £1000 there is quite a selection, but at that price? No chance.

Just checked, though, and Globetrotter in Germany, have a 2kg Hilleberg Nallo on offer for around 600 Euros. Doubt you get anything at your specs for much less.

CB

Andypeak 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Lucy.a:

I've got a Quechua quickhiker ultralight 2. Under 2kg, fits 2 people, not much mesh, pitches outer first and pretty bomb proof. Cost me about £110. I recommend it although I think they have redesigned it recently. 

wbo2 02 Sep 2020
In reply to antony_2009: You'd better get on with deciding... it's got to be 15+ years old..   

Seiously I have a single skin tent and while it has its good points, rain resistance is't one of them

DaveHK 03 Sep 2020
In reply to cb294:

> Just checked, though, and Globetrotter in Germany, have a 2kg Hilleberg Nallo 

The 2kg is 'minimum weight'. Packed weight is 2.4 and more like 2.8 if you use the footprint. No idea why Hilleberg and some other manufacturers quote a weight that doesn't include pegs etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...