Tent + mildew

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 08 Aug 2019

I've just unpacked my Robens Light Dreamer after about 7 years in a bag in the garage and it really reeks, evidently it wasn't completely dry when I put it away. The whole thing has a fairly impressive quantity of mildew on it including between the inner fabric and the seam tape. 

Any tips for getting it clean and waterproof by tomorrow afternoon or is it likely to be a lost cause? I was thinking of trying a dose of techwash and some Milton.

RR 08 Aug 2019
In reply to Reach>Talent:

I used MiraZyme mcNett on a Bibler tent. Did stop the the mildew after soaking 24 hours. Then dried it for ages.  Never reproofed it since it is a kind of GTX fabric. Took a lot of (wasted?) time. Still black spot but okay. Mildew is not healthy.

If in a hurry buy an new tent. 

I'm seriously averse to wasteage, but 7 years of mildew is going to be tough to get rid of safely and properly, especially from a tent that will be frequently damp and in which you will be enclosed...

Dan Arkle 08 Aug 2019
In reply to RR:

I'd try bleach, and lots of it. Has worked great rehabilitating curtains for me before. 

OP Reach>Talent 09 Aug 2019
In reply to all:

I think it is fair to say the tent isn't coming out to play this weekend: I gave the inner a thorough clean, then soaked it in a mild Sodium hypochlorite solution for a couple of hours then bunged it in the washing machine with a load of techwash. Dried it overnight and the smell has gone along with a lot of the staining, but the areas under the seam tape are still pretty rotten looking so I've removed all of the seam tape, scrubbed the seams and it is having another bath in bleach. I think the inner will recover ok provided I don't make too much of a hash of sealing the seams but it isn't going to be a 5 minute job so it looks like I'll be sleeping in the car this weekend! I'll have a go at the outer when the weather improves again.

Rigid Raider 09 Aug 2019

In the long-term midew will attack the fabric and weaken it and often stain it badly.

Stick a "wanted" ad on here for a tent. I did and was overwhelmed by the number and generosity of the offers I received.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...