Telemark Pyrenees - buying in UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hutchymh 25 Nov 2022

Hi,

Searched for info on this buy couldn't find anything post Brexit.

Has anyone ordered from Telemark Pyrenees since we left the EU? It is slightly unclear if there will be import taxes to pay or if its included in the price.

Seems too good to be true pricing wise.

Thanks 

65 25 Nov 2022
In reply to hutchymh:

Watching this with interest. I was in it in September but the ski stuff wasn’t out. 

john arran 25 Nov 2022
In reply to hutchymh:

You could always contact them and ask?

yorkshireman 25 Nov 2022
In reply to john arran:

> You could always contact them and ask?

Or you could always look on the website (which you didn't link, so I googled) and click on Custom Fees and Taxes

And see where it says:

"For countries outside the European Union prices do not include VAT / sales tax, but taxes may apply in the country of delivery, please check your country's import regulations."

OP hutchymh 25 Nov 2022
In reply to yorkshireman:

"May apply" - which is unclear hence why I asked if anyone had used them recently to compare experience on an Internet forum for discussing such things.

Thanks for googling it for me though.

Dark-Cloud 25 Nov 2022
In reply to hutchymh:

That's a standard statement for most companies shipping without end country tax included as some stuff gets through, some doesn't, also different countries apply different tariffs depending on what the kit is.

Best thing to do is factor in VAT, any import duties and handling fee as worst case as that's what the worst case is.

matt1984 25 Nov 2022
In reply to hutchymh:

Pretty sure I read limit was over £135 of goods to pay fees somewhere.

In the end I thought the bother/lottery/mystery of it all wasn't worth it and just got what I needed from gooutdoors.

OP hutchymh 25 Nov 2022
In reply to hutchymh:

Thanks all, I think ill give it a miss, some of these European companies are very transparent however telemark seems too good to be true so it possibly is!

john arran 25 Nov 2022
In reply to hutchymh:

> Thanks all, I think ill give it a miss, some of these European companies are very transparent however telemark seems too good to be true so it possibly is!

That makes it sound like they're being deceptive in some way, which I very much doubt is the case. They simply cannot quote final costs for non-EU sales because every country will end up with a different price, and even that may depend on whether you're buying an item individually or as part of a bigger order. So they quote the price prior to any tax or duty due, which of course is going to look good value, but they really have no choice. If we had a customs union with France then I'm sure they would be only too happy to quote the actual known prices.

critter 25 Nov 2022
In reply to hutchymh:

It's not too good to be true it's just the cost without tax applied.

Reputable company with physical shop in Ax Les Therme.

John Ww 25 Nov 2022
In reply to critter:

Yep, I’ve been to the shop a couple of times, and have ordered stuff from them in the past with no problem.

TobyA 26 Nov 2022
In reply to hutchymh:

I bought stuff from them over the years and have been to their shop in the Pyrenees - but maybe 20 years ago. They were great whenever I used them but haven't bought anything since Brexit. But it's a long standing business.

65 26 Nov 2022
In reply to TobyA:

They've moved to slightly bigger premises on the main road out to the north. Not far though. The shop isn't that big but I suspect their storage space much greater than the old place down the lane.

ian caton 27 Nov 2022
In reply to hutchymh:

Give them a call they speak proper English. 

mikefergy 27 Nov 2022
In reply to hutchymh:

I bought some skis from them last year. VAT gets charged on top of the price on the website (you'll get a separate invoice to pay before they deliver), and I think there was a small (£20?) admin fee too. It still worked out easily the cheapest deal I could find for my skis though.

OP hutchymh 27 Nov 2022
In reply to mikefergy:

Thanks Mike

mcawle 27 Nov 2022
In reply to hutchymh:

You need to look to the UK rules for importing goods. Here is a bit of a summary to get started: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hmrc-urges-shoppers-to-be-aware-of-post-...

VAT and separately customs duty apply at different thresholds (customs duty depends on type of goods and whether they are of EU origin).

The courier/shipping company will also likely charge you an admin/handling fee if vat/customs duty are applied.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...