Summer Mountaineering Waterproof gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 18 Apr 2021

As my gloves have now got holes in I’m looking for a new pair. 
They need to be waterproof, have a decent grip probably a leather palm and fingers.

Be quite thin with a short cuff to fit under my jackets.

Perfect glove would be a Mountain Equipment Super Alpine glove but waterproof, as these were the best glove I’ve ever had but they weren’t waterproof.

Great for the Alps but no good for our damp and wet climate.

My last gloves were Sealskin Waterproof all weather I think but they are now wrecked.

Did like the look of the Black Diamond Arc but couple of reviews said the liner comes out when removing your hand 

1philjones1 18 Apr 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

I use Ejendals Tegera 517’s. Very dexterous, pretty waterproof, cheap as anything (£7 a pair), doesn’t matter if you trash them. Also pretty good for winter leads if you need to place gear etc.

Tried to post a link but failed miserably. They are on SafetyGloves.co.uk.

In reply to 1philjones1:

How did you find the fit? I got some Tegera gloves a couple of years ago and they were much tighter than I'm used to with other brands.

1philjones1 18 Apr 2021
In reply to pancakeandchips:

Yes agreed. I think I went up one size from the measurement of my hand from recollection. 
edit. Just checked, I am a good fit for large with ME, Rab and Black Diamond gloves. The Tegera ones are size 10, marked as XL, and are a good, but fairly snug, fit. 

Post edited at 17:41
 neuromancer 18 Apr 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

What do you mean by 'summer mountaineering'?

If it's cold enough for snow in the summer, presumably you're in the alps or ranges and it will be dry and light softshell (or even just a simple belay glove) will be fine. If it isn't cold enough then why do you need gloves - you aren't going to carry an ice axe unless there's ice?

Do you mean hillwalking in the rain? If not, Is the weather going to be cold enough to require gloves? Why do they need to be waterproof? As soon as you raise your arm to do anything you will end up with water in the gloves.

Overall I just find this question confusing.

OP andyd1970 18 Apr 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I think you have just read it wrong. I was talking about the ME Super Alpine being great for the Alps but no good for wet weather. I’m talking UK in the summer and as it’s not always super warm I want gloves that also stay dry in the mountains. 
Ive got plenty of gloves that do other stuff

OP andyd1970 18 Apr 2021
In reply to 1philjones1:

Thanks Phil they look ideal. 

In reply to andyd1970:

That is all rather baffling!

You want waterproof in the summer? What are you planning on doing, scuba diving in mountain lakes?!

Waterproof in summer will mean wet hands from perspiration. 

Damp hands and gloves are fine, if they can dry out, which in summer is totally likely.

ME Super Alpine are my go to glove for Scottish winter climbing, where wet hands are the norm, so I'm baffled as to why you say they aren't dry enough for summer.

If anything, they would be too warm in summer... causing internal damp from sweating.

In summer it is easy to dry gloves out, even in wet conditions. I'd take a Rab VR glove for summer and nothing else: if they get wet, wring them out, they'll dry from hand warmth soon enough. Take two pairs if you must! Personally for summer hillwalking, I don't even take gloves.

Post edited at 19:02
In reply to andyd1970:

What do you need waterproof gloves for? In my experience they never are and are just really expensive. If you want to keep your hands warm and dry on ming wet days (think November in the Lakes) waterproof pile mitts are your friend. 

For summer I’m too fussed if my hands get wet, but often have Buffalo mitts in the bottom of my bag. They’re not waterproof  but will keep your hands warm if they got cold on a wet minging day. You’ll need size XL, unless you have tiny hands. They’re also cheap, light and available in purple. 

https://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Clothing-Footwear/Technical-Clothing...

Two pairs of unlinded leather gloves from a hardware store for actual rope work. 

Andy Hardy 18 Apr 2021
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide and Nick:

There are people who have poor circulation and need gloves in the summer as well as winter, and, if the OP has determined through experience that waterproof is best (for them) then that's fair enough surely?

OP andyd1970 18 Apr 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Bang on the money there Andy.

51 years of age and been going in the outdoors since I was 13, so I know what I need. 
If I was a young lad I wouldn’t need the gloves 

OP andyd1970 18 Apr 2021
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Hi Tom

I have mitts and do use them but no good for scrambling over wet cold rock in summer 

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Sure.

It's hard to tell from his posts why he needs waterproof gloves. Most people don't need waterproof gloves for summer hillwalking, they need a glove that will keep their hand sufficiently warm in shite weather. And a truly waterproof glove in summer will soon be damp/wet inside from sweating.  If he does need waterproof gloves, cool. If though UKC provides other ways of thinking about gloves, and if this advice helps him realise he in fact does not need waterproof glove and that there are other options, that's cool.

Post edited at 19:30
 olddirtydoggy 18 Apr 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

Can't offer a suggestion but we had a pair of thin, waterproof gloves for my wife from Montane and they fell to bits within around 5 trips. Shame as usually I love their kit.

For what it's worth, I thought your opening post was pretty clear, not sure why a few were questioning it. Personally I don't use gloves much in summer but my hands work fine. Best of luck.

Kryank 18 Apr 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

I have used a pair of montane tornado waterproof gloves and been really happy with them, used them to belay with, scramble with and hill walk with. A bit pricey but for me worth it.

https://www.montane.com/mens-c1/accessories-c26/gloves-c47/montane-tornado-...

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Gloves are generally crap at keeping your hands warm, and are especially crap at rewarming cold hands. Mitts on the other hand are perfect for this. They are also the only hand wear that will actually keep you hands dry, in gross weather, for a meaningful amount of time.

To The OP:

If you have poor circulation: maybe consider using a fleece with thumb loops (cold wrists are one of the main causes of cold hands in my experience). Alternatively some companies make powerstretch wrist warmers which, worn under gloves, are good for keeping you fingers warm. 

Before you shell out close to £100 on a pair of expensive climbing gloves, try a pair of leather workman’s gloves, with Nikwax rubbed into them. Will cost you £20 and shouldn’t get trashed too quickly. 

In answer to your original question: try Alpkit Shugas.

Andy Hardy 18 Apr 2021
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

> Sure.

> It's hard to tell from his posts why he needs waterproof gloves.

Why does it matter?

Most people don't need waterproof gloves for summer hillwalking, they need a glove that will keep their hand sufficiently warm in shite weather.

The OP is not most people

And a truly waterproof glove in summer will soon be damp/wet inside from sweating.

Do you know anyone with Reynauds?

If he does need waterproof gloves, cool. If though UKC provides other ways of thinking about gloves, and if this advice helps him realise he in fact does not need waterproof glove and that there are other options, that's cool.

So really the OP doesn't know what he needs? That's quite an impressive remote diagnosis there doctor.

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Dude, there's no need to start chucking around sarcastic insults.

I've had my mind changed by UKC regarding what gear I need. I It is good to be open to hearing the suggestions, experience and advice of others. It can be useful to get other people's views of a situation even if it doesn't change one's mind.

Chill out.

Hooo 18 Apr 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

Decathlon do a summer alpine glove that is waterproof and breathable with a leather palm, and they work surprisingly well for £17 (IIRC). I've had mine a few years now and they still seem to be waterproof, which is a record for waterproof gloves as far as I'm concerned. I'd find them too warm for UK summer, but might be OK for you.

Removed User 18 Apr 2021
OP andyd1970 19 Apr 2021
In reply to andyd1970:
Guys

Thanks for the replys

I want waterproof gloves to keep my hands dry but I also wanted light ones so they don’t get too hot and start sweating and overheating.

I get cold hands and they get worse when they get wet. 
When hill walking I use lightweight mitts but when mountaineering I need something that’s good on wet and damp rock but don’t need a massive cuff.

I have looked at the usual well known brands and climbing shops but wanted to see if there was other gloves out there I’d missed, before I bought a pair. 
My original post stated I wanted light waterproof gloves with a grippy palm and a short cuff, which I though explained what I wanted quite well.

OP andyd1970 19 Apr 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

Summer mountaineering tends to mean. Mountaineering in the summer!!

Where did you come up wit the ice axe thing?

Appreciate  the reply though 

OP andyd1970 19 Apr 2021
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

I think it’s a lot of the younger generation who still have warm hands but as I’m of the older generation my fingers get a little bit chilly 

OP andyd1970 19 Apr 2021
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Hi Tom

I pack mitts when out walking in the summer and throw them on if my hands get cold.

If I was on a scramble that’s wet and cold my hands get cold and mitts are no good for this. 

I tend to use fleeces with the thumb loops as they help in colder months and the sleeves when running.

OP andyd1970 19 Apr 2021
In reply to Hooo:

I’ll have a look thanks

In reply to andyd1970:

I've occasionally seen these worn on the hill

https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/304402_size7.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIle-N2ISK...

Worth a look.

OP andyd1970 19 Apr 2021
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

I’ve got these for winter but too warm for summer

Put my wife into these and she loves them for winter 

neuromancer 19 Apr 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

Do you mean scrambling?

There isn't really much meaningful 'summer mountaineering' in the UK, in the sense of the word that most people understand. Maybe a cullin traverse? I mentioned axes because that's one of the reasons you'd put gloves on in the summer - in the alps, when using hardwear or on icy slopes.

>I want waterproof gloves to keep my hands dry but I also wanted light ones so they don’t get too hot and start sweating and overheating.

But if it's warm enough to be raining and not snowing, your hands are going to sweat and the sweat will give you cold hands. Oh, and now, you can't dry them out as they are waterproof. A better solution is two pairs of non-waterproof gloves that you rotate.

>I get cold hands and they get worse when they get wet. When hill walking I use lightweight mitts but when mountaineering I need something that’s good on wet and damp rock but don’t need a massive cuff.

If it doesn't have a long cuff and it's raining, the water will get in the hand hole. Now you have wet hands, which as you say, will make them cold. Secondly, putting a waterproof membrane in a glove makes it very hard for a thin glove to have good feel on rock. If you're climbing rock, why not climb it with bare hands (like most people do) and then put on some mittens at pauses or belays?

I have pretty bad reynauds, and I have learnt by long experience that making things waterproof is a fools' errand, unless it's cold enough that you aren't sweating.

>My original post stated I wanted light waterproof gloves with a grippy palm and a short cuff, which I though explained what I wanted quite well.

Well, the problem is that, by and large, climbing manufacturers don't make them. Because short-cuffed waterproof gloves don't make much sense. Much like goretex running shoes in the rain.

Post edited at 14:30
 rif 19 Apr 2021
In reply to andyd1970:

I have poor circulation in my arms, like you, so sometimes want gloves in summer in Scotland. I find fingerless knitted Thinsulate gloves are great for scrambling/easy climbing in cool/damp weather. If just hillwalking, pretty much anything: Powerstretch gloves, Buffalo mitts, leather ski-patrol-type gloves, Windstopper gloves. Like others upthread, I don't see the need for waterproofing: if your wrists stay warm, your hands will be OK.

In reply to andyd1970:

I guess another option is cycling gloves, I don't cycle much so cannot recommend a product but presumably they have some thinner waterproof-ish gloves in that world.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...