Student Survey on Climber and Hiker Equipment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lee Sargeant 31 Oct 2019

Hi everyone! I'm a final year Product Design (BSc) student at Bournemouth University currently trying to gather research for my project surrounding climbing, hiking and Mountaineering. I am trying to get an insight into climbers/hikers/mountaineers habits and equipment so its more accessible for people with type 1 diabetes who want to take part or travel a lot.

It's a simple 8 question multiple choice survey that takes around a minute to complete! All completely anonymous and used purely for research and development. The link is here if you wish to take part: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/BSCQN7X 

My aim is to help as many people as possible to design a great product. If you could fill this in and pass it on to any other outdoor enthusiast this would be much appreciated. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to get in touch. Thanks!

Jack B 31 Oct 2019
In reply to Lee Sargeant:

Hi Lee,

A couple of thoughts after filling it in (though it's probably too late to change much)

You ask for backpack size (small, medium, large) but different people will have different ideas of size. It might be good to ask for size in litres. Also, if you're thinking about what people are willing to carry, weight might matter more than size.

You also ask where I would carry medical equipment. I said backpack, as that's the default place for everything, but the other options you list might work if it was something I needed regularly or potentially in a hurry. In that case, strapped to the chest (using rucksack straps) would be the most likely option.

In reply to Jack B:

> You ask for backpack size (small, medium, large) but different people will have different ideas of size. It might be good to ask for size in litres. Also, if you're thinking about what people are willing to carry, weight might matter more than size.

This ^^^

Also the rucksack size varies depending on the activity/duration.

(I hate the phrase backpack)

bouldery bits 31 Oct 2019

What a bizzare survey.

Good luck with whatever the hell this is.

Donotello 01 Nov 2019
In reply to bouldery bits:

Pretty black and white to me 

’ I am trying to get an insight into climbers/hikers/mountaineers habits and equipment so its more accessible for people with type 1 diabetes who want to take part or travel a lot.’

Guy Hurst 01 Nov 2019

Strikes me the questions are a bit vague and general to be of much use to somebody trying to design gear for type 1 diabetics. Perhaps a question like "what feature should a rucksack have to make it particularly suitable for use by a type 1 diabetic?" would have been better. For me, the answer would be an external mesh pocket to allow an insulin wallet to continue working by evaporative cooling, while also providing some protection from impact.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...