Sterling Ropes UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CMcBain 03 Sep 2021

Does anywhere in the UK stock Sterling ropes? I bought a velocity 9.8 a few years ago and super impressed with durability and handling. I want to replace like for like but it looks like nowhere stocks Sterling stuff in the UK?

Am I missing anywhere or any other rope brands comparable?

Moacs 03 Sep 2021
In reply to CMcBain:

Got sold to a US company; only available stateside I think

galpinos 03 Sep 2021
In reply to Moacs:

Sterling is a US company?

galpinos 03 Sep 2021
In reply to CMcBain:

Beta Designs used to be their UK Distributor but a quick check of their site doesn’t list them anymore. That might explain the issue?

In reply to galpinos:

> Beta Designs used to be their UK Distributor but a quick check of their site doesn’t list them anymore. That might explain the issue?

That's exactly it, although I had a feeling they might have got a few extra in since, so have sent them a quick message to double check. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Word through: they no longer distribute Sterling Ropes.

kipper12 03 Sep 2021

So I’m guessing those of us who want to replace our sterling rope with another one are out of luck, short of importing from the US

In reply to kipper12:

Unless you can find an existing stockist who happens to still have stock, yes - sadly…

I’ve been using the Duettos for the last few years now, but have just replaced them with a set of the Edelrid Starling 8.2mm Protect Pro Dry, which - thus far - have been really good (nice to have that edge protection too).

Always sad when your favourite model of something becomes available though…

kipper12 03 Sep 2021

I have a 9.4mm 70 I used for sport climbing.  I’ll need to replace it in the next year or so, it’ll give me a while to consider replacements, any suggestions?

In reply to kipper12:

We’re currently doing a triple rated rope group test, which may or may not be of interest/relevance (I'm not actually involved with it - hence am a little out the loop regarding what's actually going to be featured within it).

When it comes to longer length ropes, I vary between my old Sterling Ion2 (which has been brilliant) and the 8.9mm Edelrid Swift Eco Dry that I reviewed a few years ago. Which one I use largely depends on what I’m doing. The latter is definitely more of an onsight rope though, as it’s clearly quite skinny - hence wouldn’t be my first choice for working routes (although I have done a bit of that with it, it’s not ideal).

I’ll be in the same situation as you once my Ion2 wears out though, as that 9.2-9.4mm bracket is a really versatile.

Post edited at 20:16
OP CMcBain 03 Sep 2021
In reply to all:

Cheers for all the info, especially re Beta Climbing Designs as I had heard a mention of them stocking Sterling and wondered if they were waiting for stock or something.

A real shame as the velocity was one of the best bits of kit I’ve bought. I remember paying £200 for an 80m velocity as it was all I could get at short notice and thinking it was a bit much for a rope. However it has outlived pretty much any other rope I’ve had and been used and abused pretty heavily. It’s probably still fine but I recently remembered the actual year I bought it and thought it’s probably long over due retirement….

I’ll maybe try an Edelrid alternative as not had any of their ropes as of yet.

tehmarks 03 Sep 2021
In reply to CMcBain:

Outside were selling odd length offcuts of theirs a few years ago. Asked why they had a bin full if cheap 29/32/37/etc metre lengths of rope, and was told they were exiting the UK market.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...