Static rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 14 May 2019

Hi,

I'm after a 60m static 8 to 9.5mm. I've bounced around and can only find thicker or 100m lengths in that kind of diameter.

Anyone have some in their shop, or know of a UK source.

Thanks

danm 14 May 2019
In reply to David Coley:

A caving shop is the obvious response, e.g. https://www.inglesport.com/product-category/cave/ropes-cord-and-slings/semi...

Edit: don't forget to allow for shrinkage when you condition the rope

Post edited at 11:55
In reply to David Coley:

8mm accessory cord is static rope

https://www.urbanrock.com/mammut-8mm-accessory-cord/

Post edited at 12:13
 whenry 14 May 2019
 gravy 14 May 2019
In reply to whenry:

IIRC needlesports will do this

OP David Coley 14 May 2019

Thanks 

danm 14 May 2019
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

> 8mm accessory cord is static rope

No, it isn't. Static rope (which in itself is a misnomer, the proper term is low stretch rope) is made to a totally different EN and UIAA standard to accessory cord.

Accessory cord standards simply define a minimum strength based on the cord diameter, whereas the requirements for low stretch ropes are far more rigorous and include a dynamic test requirement, pertinent to their use for abseiling, ascending and rigging traverse lines and lifelines. The only anomalies to this are some 8mm low stretch ropes, which can't meet the standard for low stretch rope, and are therefore certified as accessory cord but with additional test data attached which is relevant to their use as super lightweight caving rope.

88Dan 14 May 2019
In reply to David Coley:

To be honest you would be better buying a 10 or 10.5mm static rope which would be far more durable and long lasting, I would also recommend buying the longest rope you can afford. You might not use every meter of it but it's a case of rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I have a 100m 10.5mm Beal Antipode (other brands and models are available) which seemed like overkill at the time, but it has got me out of some tricky situations and has been more than worth the money I paid for it. Banana fingers is currently selling this rope for £1.45 a meter.

Oceanrower 14 May 2019
In reply to 88Dan:

Congratulations. Informative, well written post. There's hope for you yet...

tehmarks 14 May 2019
In reply to 88Dan:

Is there any particular brand you'd recommend?

88Dan 14 May 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

I have only used Beal Edelrid and DMM static ropes so I can't comment on other brands. All have done what they are supposed to and all have lasted well despite years of abuse.

phizz4 14 May 2019
In reply to David Coley:

https://starlessriver.com/shop/ropes_and_cords

These people have lots of choice and excellent customer service.

Oceanrower 14 May 2019
In reply to phizz4:

Yep. Can definitely recommend Tony. Nice guy and really knows his stock.

jimtitt 15 May 2019
In reply to 88Dan:

> To be honest you would be better buying a 10 or 10.5mm static rope which would be far more durable and long lasting, I would also recommend buying the longest rope you can afford. You might not use every meter of it but it's a case of rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I have a 100m 10.5mm Beal Antipode (other brands and models are available) which seemed like overkill at the time, but it has got me out of some tricky situations and has been more than worth the money I paid for it. Banana fingers is currently selling this rope for £1.45 a meter.

David isn't exactly a beginner, he's written probably the definitive book on advanced multi-pitch climbing and I'd guess he's done more big-walls than most of us.

In reply to David Coley:

Gleistein is good stuff if you've not come across it. Myself and lots of my caving colleagues are very impressed with it. Available at Starless River as mentioned above. 

Post edited at 07:56
 EdS 15 May 2019
In reply to phizz4:

Beat me to it.

Speak to Tony. Far, far more knowledgeable than any climbing shop.

And service that is second to none.

88Dan 15 May 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

I never said he was a beginner.

In reply to 88Dan:

I think the point is we don't know his requirement / intended use, therefore recommending a thicker / heavier rope isn't that helpful

88Dan 15 May 2019
In reply to Sandstone Stickman:

Even though I used to use 8.6mm cobras for trad climbing, I never really trust thinner ropes. They can't take much abuse and you have to buy specific belay/abseil devices to go with them. Weight per meter has never been a deciding factor for me, if I want to carry less weight I just eat fewer biscuits per night

OP David Coley 15 May 2019

Have ordered from starlessriver. Truly impressive service.

Thanks for your help

And thanks for pointing out that when it comes to static, a caving store is going to be the place to go. Obvious when you think about it, but I never had.

Post edited at 17:42
 bpmclimb 16 May 2019
In reply to 88Dan:

> To be honest you would be better buying a 10 or 10.5mm static rope 

Your post is intended to be helpful, which I'm sure is appreciated - but maybe check profiles first, so that your advice is pitched appropriately. Just a suggestion.

88Dan 16 May 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

So I am now expected to view every profile and know exactly what everyone wants and needs? Thicker ropes are designed as such to be longer lasting and more durable which is why I recommended such a rope. It wasn't specific to a beginner or experienced climber.

bpmclimb 16 May 2019
In reply to 88Dan:

It's not an expectation, just a suggestion. FWIW I generally do it before replying to posts, and so do lots of other UKCers, because it helps to avoid ill-judged and inappropriate posts. But take it or leave it, it's up to you - I'm not going to get into an argument about it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...