Sports rope Reviews and recommendations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 17 Dec 2021

I want a new sports rope and have looked on UKC gear reviews, and not found a review. Most reviews I find online seem to be more about selling ropes than reviewing ropes, so I do not trust them, or rather old, so out of date.
I do not wish to discuss length, as thats a Rabbit hole.
Price is not the major issue, but I do not always think expensive is better, though it can be, and cheap is usually for a very good reason.
I use a clickup, belay device, the 1 not the 2, which I think is a Lemon, so to work well with that.
My target weight is 13stone, so possibly not super skinny ropes, and if going for a walk in multi pitch, I would take half ropes. I did have a skinny sport rope once, and the stretch when I fell disconcerted me, so will not be buying one again.
I have read an old review that mentioned ropes getting dirty quicker, not sure why one rope would get dirty quicker than another, but I use a rope bag, so not sure if that is an issue.
I think I have covered all the bases there.
I would appreciate any links to reviews or personal recommendations.
Thanks in advance.

Post edited at 08:46
 jezb1 17 Dec 2021
In reply to Godwin:

I have a couple that I'm currently using regularly.

The Decathlon 9.5mm absolute bargain of a rope. Cheap and cheerful and still going strong after a year of use. Not the stretchiest of ropes in real world falls, in my anecdotal experience, handles ok, but not nice and soft like more expensive ropes.

The Edelrid Kinglet 9.2mm, loads nicer than the Decathlon rope but more or less twice the price. Can't comment on it's durability as I've not used it long enough, it handles really nicely though and is a bit stretchier than the Decathlon rope, so is nicer in a fall. (https://www.outside.co.uk/climbing-gear/ropes-slings/single-ropes/edelrid-k...)

Post edited at 09:15
 Iamgregp 17 Dec 2021
In reply to Godwin:

I use a click-up too, and have a Petzl Contact 9.8 and it's a great rope.

I does get dirty quicker than my previous rope, the sheath is of a slightly more open texture (like a heavier weave) and feel much less slick so dirt, the dark finish on my DMM draws, and anything on the ground or wall is picked up more easily.

I use a rope bag too, with tarp (who doesn't?!) but it still ends up on the ground a fair bit, especially when pulling down having finished a route.

However it handles way, way better than my previous rope and is a delight to use.  If it gets super dirty one day I'll get round to using the rope cleaner and brush I bought about 3 years ago. 

MischaHY 17 Dec 2021
In reply to Godwin:

Really recommend the Edelrid Neo 3R - handles very nicely for a 9.8, doesn't pick up much dust and is 50% recycled from old ropes. Proper win-win. 

NomadET 17 Dec 2021
In reply to Godwin:

Mammut crag classic have taken over the infinity line, great ropes at an affordable price which handle well and have lasted me a long time! 

9.8 is a bit cheaper than the 9.5 which is somthing to think about too..

ian caton 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Godwin:

Get all the dry treatment you can get. Improves durability immensely. Beal tiger, look at the stats, and nice rope but maybe import only. 

climber34neil 18 Dec 2021
In reply to Godwin:

Fixi rocca rainbow , great feel, durability,  and just look at it,  !!

OP Godwin 19 Dec 2021
In reply to NomadET:

I have had infinity ropes in the past and liked them.

I suspect the 9.8 could be better for me, as there would be a little less rope stretch, and not falling on sports routes is something that holds me back, so not having the gremlin of potentially more stretch could work for me. Of course a lot of this is in the mind. MishaHY comments that a 9.8mm handles well in a Click up, I do know thicker ropes at climbing walls are hardwork, but I guess they are +10mm.

MischaHY 19 Dec 2021
In reply to Godwin:

Yeah wall ropes are usually minimum 10mm and often 10.5mm to improve durability. 

The Neo 3R really does handle very well for a 9.8 - much better than the 9.8 that Mammut offer. 

I'm not normally a fan of ropes thicker than 9.5 as I find the handling/drag to be frustrating but I got this one to test through work and was really sold on it. For what it's worth though I would say Edelrid ropes offer the best durability on the market right now. Petzl handle the best but have very poor durability. Beal are nice but often go fluffy/soft very fast which can be unnerving. 

OP Godwin 20 Dec 2021
In reply to Godwin:

Right getting there now. I have seen two ropes, one 9.8mm one 9.5mm, the 9.5mm is lighter in weight than the 9.8mm.
The main difference for me is that the 9.5mm has a Dynamic Elongation of 32% and the 9.8mm of 30%.
Now my weakness has always been numbers. So is a 2% difference, 2% not noticeable in the real world OR is 2% actually about 8% of 30% and would be noticeable. Would 2% actually fall within manufacturing tolerances, therefore not worth worrying about.
As rope stretch is important to me, and the only way to really know is to take a fall on both, but I cannot do that, so have to use the numbers.

In reply to Godwin:

My 2 cents is that modern singles from a reputable brands are all pretty much the same.

Go for a 9.8mm and then shop around to get a bargain.

Don’t make the mistake of paying 30 quid more for the Beal, because someone on the internet said it handled better than his mates mammut.

jezb1 20 Dec 2021
In reply to Godwin:

You won’t notice any difference.

In reply to Godwin:

> Now my weakness has always been numbers. So is a 2% difference, 2% not noticeable in the real world OR is 2% actually about 8% of 30% and would be noticeable. Would 2% actually fall within manufacturing tolerances, therefore not worth worrying about.

The big factor is how much rope is between you and the quickdraw when the rope goes tight because that's what is going to stretch.

So if you don't want a lot of stretch tell your partner not to leave a ton of slack and think about when to clip.  OTOH - if you go too far with this you are going to get a really hard fall!   You'll notice the difference between 2m and 3m of rope between you and the QD far more than 2% more stretchy rope.

For indoor use I get Edelrid 9.8mm ropes, whatever is cheapest and long enough to cut down at least once.  I doubt there's much difference between them and 9.8s from other leading brands.

Post edited at 09:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...