Sportpursuit are they real?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 17 Oct 2018

Hi,

Has anyone purchased from sportpursuit.com?

Are they legitimate? Did your items arrive as described? Some of their pricing seems very good which makes me nervous!!

Thanks

Post edited at 22:07
Removed User 17 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Yes the perfect mail order company I buy monthly from them.

In reply to Alan M:

Yes they are, no problems at all. I think they pick their stock carefully from companies, depending upon what's shifting or not, and delivery dates can therefore be quite distant.

Had loads of Merino stuff from them at great prices.

StuDoig 17 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

yea they are real and straight up.  I've bought a few things from them with no problems.

Stu

Pedro50 17 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Yes no problems, sometimes slow delivery but fine. 

In reply to Ade in Sheffield:

I suspect they are a better-targeted version of TK Maxx. I note the rise of SportsPursuit has coincided with the decline of anything decent in the Maxx.

I think manufacturers will be getting more for their surplus stock from SP than TKM were prepared to offer.

Welsh Kate 17 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Been using them for a long time, never a problem. Sometimes you have to wait for stuff to arrive, but their website always gives you an expected delivery date, and they've always been pretty accurate. Excellent returns policy and never had a problem here either.

OP Alan M 17 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Thanks, seems pretty clear I'm not going to lose my money.

Where's my bank card ????

LastBoyScout 17 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

They're fine - I've bought and returned a bunch of stuff and I know others who have too.

asteclaru 17 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

yep, they're for real. ordered a few times and they've been great every time

they always change the brands they sell, so it's worth keeping an eye out (or just subscribe to their newsletter). Arcteryx seems to pop up on their website every few months, and MHW and Marmot a bit more often than that.

SDM 17 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Great prices. Sometimes slow delivery but they are up front when this will be the case.

Make sure you check your items carefully when they arrive. Out of about 8 orders, 2 of them have delivered similar but incorrect items. Customer service afterwards has been good when this has happened but, being flash sales, once stock has gone, it's gone so they have been unable to ship the correct item.

ben b 18 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

A website full of temptation...

Have bought quite a lot from them over the years.

On one occasion a couple of years ago,  I got an email from them saying their servers have been compromised, "but there shouldn't be any risk".

The following day my card got stung for about GBP800 to series of hotels in north London. I emailed them and they denied it was anything to do with them and were pretty unapologetic. Given that I live overseas and the card was new and had hardly been used other than with them, and certainly not in the UK otherwise, I think that potentially it was absolutely their software issues... However, no money lost thanks to the credit card company.

Subsequently no issues, other than a pair of boots for my son arriving in the wrong colour. He's 12 years old. The boots are rather pink (not the advertised blue). It's a long way to send them back from NZ; happily he is evidently safe enough in his sexuality to have gone "oh well, they fit really well and they won't look pink when they're muddy". Good lad!

b

Yanis Nayu 18 Oct 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Well if they’re keeping you happy...

Stichtplate 18 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Only place I can afford Arcteryx.

Tringa 18 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

I had a look at this company. I was a bit concerned about two TrustPilot reviews.

On one with nearly 6,000 reviews they had a rating of 9.6/10 -

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.sportpursuit.com

On the other, with admittedly far few reviews (35), their rating was 4.9/10 with 40% of reviews rating them "Bad" or "Poor" -

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/sportspursuit.com

Dave

HeMa 18 Oct 2018
In reply to Tringa:

I didn't bother to look up the reviews.

But I think the main problem some users might have had, is that they DO NOT SHIP direcly after you order... instead it clearly reads on the product page when they are suppose to be shipped out (and on the few occations I have used them, they have been spot on).

So you see a nice fancy 'Ryx jacket at a bargain price and then order it on Monday thinking that you'll have it by weekend... Not the case, you might only get it in a month or two... So your expectation might skew your review (to be honest, it's your own faul, if you can't read... but still).

monzaman 18 Oct 2018
In reply to Tringa:

In 2nd link, name has extra 's' 

Not checked myself, but sportspursuit a different organisation?

Tringa 18 Oct 2018
In reply to HeMa:

> I didn't bother to look up the reviews.

> But I think the main problem some users might have had, is that they DO NOT SHIP direcly after you order... instead it clearly reads on the product page when they are suppose to be shipped out (and on the few occations I have used them, they have been spot on).

> So you see a nice fancy 'Ryx jacket at a bargain price and then order it on Monday thinking that you'll have it by weekend... Not the case, you might only get it in a month or two... So your expectation might skew your review (to be honest, it's your own faul, if you can't read... but still).

Delays in delivery seem to be a problem with this company. However, for everyone like yourself, who has had good service there will be others who have not and these folks are going to complain. If you can wait for an item this place looks OK, though waiting over a month (given that many online purchases are delivered very quickly) does appear excessive.

Dave

Tringa 18 Oct 2018
In reply to monzaman:

> In 2nd link, name has extra 's' 

> Not checked myself, but sportspursuit a different organisation?

I didn't spot that. I've had a look on WHOIS and they might be the same company or perhaps a company making sure no one else uses a domain with a very similar name, though for both most of the info is not available.

The WHOIS page for sportpursuit.com is https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=sportpursuit.com

For sportspursuit.com it is - https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=sportspursuit.com

Dave

asteclaru 18 Oct 2018
In reply to Tringa:

I don't think that there are delays in delivery as such : they don't actually hold any stock, they only order from their supplier after the sale has ended and because they buy such large quantities, they can negotiate discounts that you, as a single customer, would not be able to get. You get an estimate of the delivery date on the item's page. Nobody is being promised next day delivery and then wait weeks on end for their items to be delivered.

Their modus operandi is clear if you just read through their FAQ page. Nobody is being tricked and it's not their fault if people don't bother doing their due dilligence

HammondR 18 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M: Over the last 4 years I have bought a number of items from them. All delivered when they said they would. Also, I had terrific customer support from them when a zip failed on Mountain Hardware salopettes outside the warranty period. M H denied any liability, SP offered a replacement pair or to pay for a replacement zip without hesitation. Got a new zip fitted.

marsbar 18 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Have you tried the back pocket of your other trousers?  

In reply to Alan M:

Mainly sells clearance stock and samples. Great website. Shame it ruins the outdoor market in the UK.

Ian W 19 Oct 2018
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

How is it ruining the outdoor market? Its an outlet for manufacturers /importers to clear excess / old stocks.

I must say though, the one thing that struck me was how many cycling clothing brands there are!

OP Alan M 19 Oct 2018
In reply to marsbar:

> Have you tried the back pocket of your other trousers?  

>

I did and it wasn't in there, but it did appear....  Wish it hadn't though.  I was a little trigger happy adding stuff to the basket!!

Waiting a couple of weeks for delivery, just hope it all fits.

In reply to Ian W:

Because when a brand goes into sports pursuit more reputable retailers take is a bad sign and won't then stock that brand as they they see sports pursuit as a quick fix quick cash option. Boils down to people not being prepared or able to spend full price on kit and always looking for a bargain. 

Ian W 19 Oct 2018

Not sure its their fault for ruining the market; the manufacturers / importers offer significant quantities of end of line / last years colours around the retailers anyway at very knockdown prices......I suspect this is just a web based alternative. 

In reply to Ian W:

It's when it's not end of line stock that they discount to buggery. That's when it gets stupid.

olddirtydoggy 19 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Great website, used before without issues. There seems to be less top end stuff on there lately. Glad I'm not in the market for new gear.

JSTaylor 19 Oct 2018

Nonsense.  The brands introduce new collections each year and look to sell off last year’s colours etc.  One can take issue with this sort of “built in obsolescence strategy”, but that is another argument.  SportPursuit offers brands an efficient method for shifting excess stock.  This accounts for the timescale/lag between ordering and delivery - they place bulk orders with the brands at the end of the sales period.  This bulk buying underpins the deep discounts.  It is a win win situation. Brands shift old stock and we get deep discounts.  Traditional retailers buy stock at the beginning of the season and are not geared up for shifting end of season stocks held by brands.  

Street 20 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

I've bought a few decent bits of kit off them over the years. My old Atom LT and a MHW softshell were from there and they quite often have Under Armour stuff too. As long as you aren't in a rush for things, there are some good bargains to be had sometimes.

KA 21 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Another site worth checking is https://www.privatesportshop.co.uk/. I've ordered from them in the past with no problems, but it's worth noting that they are based in France, so returning items will be more expensive.

OP Alan M 21 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Has anyone taken a chance on any clothing makes they have never heard off on Sportpursuit?

I like the look and specifications of some of the Fjern clothing. Anyone have any experience of it? 

In reply to JSTaylor:

Obviously you know exactly what you're talking about so I won't bother continuing.

And p.s. I'm very aware of how the outdoor retail industry works for don't try and patronise me.

JSTaylor 23 Oct 2018

Mmm... grumpy you are...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...