Sportiva TX4s - durability?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 snoop6060 24 Jun 2021

Morning. 

Can anyone vouch for the durability of these approach shoes? I need some new ones and have wide feet. I rip approach shoes to bits rapidly. The TX2s lasted 3 months. 

I would get very durable ones but I have very hot feet that cause problems so I need light comfy shoes but ones with good support on the sole as I tend to suffer there too. These look a good compromise but at £120 they better last more than any of my other approach shoes

Ta

Si

In reply to snoop6060:

They are well made and pretty solid for the weight: I've had a pair for a couple of years and they're my shoe of choice, so they get a lot of use. For a wider foot, I'd strongly recommend trying a pair on

robert-hutton 24 Jun 2021
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Great shoes but come up small my ones are 10.5 for my 9.5 feet.

OP snoop6060 24 Jun 2021
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Are they narrow? My feet are so wide they are almost the shape of a dinner plate. 

NaCl 24 Jun 2021
In reply to snoop6060:

I've had mine for a year or so and are still going well. I normally kick the sh*t out of shoes as well so that's something. Hardiest approach shoes I've owned were the Boulder Xs but they definitely didn't qualify as lightweight

CantClimbTom 24 Jun 2021
In reply to snoop6060:

I have TX4 (as a mid boot rather than shoe) and found they come up 1/2 size smaller than expected, but I don't seem to rip up my shoes for whatever reason so puzzled by that comment. If you get through shoes, la Sportiva is expensive, how about you try your luck with some

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-waterproof-approach-shoes-rock-black/_/...

at very roughly half the price of TX4 and see how you get on? They both have Vibram megagrip rubber and the Simond looks more classical grip pattern for wet grass etc... that said I've never found a problem with my TX4 with its IBS pattern

Just a thought...

OP snoop6060 24 Jun 2021
In reply to NaCl:

The boulder Xs look too stiff/heavy and give me nightmares of having to buy some 5.10 guide tennies in the states when I ripped my approach shoes to bits and that's all they had. The tennies are genuinely the most uncomfortable shoes I've had to put on my feet which was unfortunate given the approaches were 1-3hrs daily . Gave the shoes away as soon as I got back. 

wbo2 24 Jun 2021
In reply to snoop6060: You wearing out soles or uppers?

jezb1 24 Jun 2021
In reply to snoop6060:

Been using my mids for about a year now, mix of hill walking and scrambling, still going strong. Not my only boot but they are my go to!

In reply to snoop6060:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I find them good for my wide feet (unlike the majority of approach shoes, which tend tend to err too much towards pointy and/or asymmetric at the front end for me). I recommend trying them on, as in, they're worth a look if you have wide feet. But to state the obvious, always try shoes before you buy them because there's a lot more nuance to fit than just wide or narrow... an example being others saying here that they come out small for size. I've not noticed that, I wear 47 same as always... 

OP snoop6060 24 Jun 2021
In reply to wbo2:

Both. And my wide feet rip a hole in the side where they stick out. My feet run so hot I think it melts the glue

The New NickB 24 Jun 2021
In reply to snoop6060:

I had a pair for about 5 years, they where worn most days and covered thousands and thousands of miles, properly trashed soles in the end, but upper still good. I should have got another pair. My current Salawa are dying after a fraction of the wear.

OP snoop6060 24 Jun 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> I have TX4 (as a mid boot rather than shoe) and found they come up 1/2 size smaller than expected, but I don't seem to rip up my shoes for whatever reason so puzzled by that comment. If you get through shoes, la Sportiva is expensive, how about you try your luck with some

> at very roughly half the price of TX4 and see how you get on? They both have Vibram megagrip rubber and the Simond looks more classical grip pattern for wet grass etc... that said I've never found a problem with my TX4 with its IBS pattern

> Just a thought...

A few years ago I did precisely that. My other half has some £15 approach shoes from decathlon that have done her fine for years. Multiple trips abroad with approaches on sharp craggy limestone and they still look like new.  Except she's tiny, has very narrow feet and doesn't walk around like a drunk elephant. I do. Anyway I got a pair of decathlon approach shoes as I was in a rush before a trip. I had ripped the sole off them before the end of the trip and spent the last few days doing approaches in a pair of Teva sandels. Which are great no doubt, but not best suited to long walks. The decathlon approach shoes just disintegrated. I like their stuff usually tho. 

AlanLittle 24 Jun 2021
In reply to snoop6060:

They’re the widest approach shoes I’ve ever found 

AlanLittle 24 Jun 2021
In reply to snoop6060:

I‘ve had no problems with my pair, but a friend had the sole delaminate on his

In reply to snoop6060:

Mine lasted a good 18 months almost continuous use. The sole wore down before the uppers started to split; I'd recommend using a suede conditioner at the usual toe flex points. I'm still wearing the old pair for mooching around town, with holes and sloes worn through to the (rather slippery) EVA midsole. The inner is still in remarkably good condition. I usually find shoe uppers pack up before the sole.

They were a revelation for me; shoes shaped like feet, and were comfortable out of the box. I wore them for one day before heading off to do the TMB, which they tackled admirably, without any blisters, and felt secure on all terrain.

I bought another pair to replace them. The price has gone up quite a bit since the first pair (another 'sunlit uplands benefit'...?).

Martin Haworth 24 Jun 2021
In reply to snoop6060: I have a pair of TX 4’s they seem hard wearing although I’ve only had them 6 months. I have them half a size bigger than my standard shoe size and would say they are reasonably wide fitting. I also have some TX2’s which are less wide fitting and not as robust but great as an approach shoe where you are going to carry the shoes on the route.

misterb 24 Jun 2021
In reply to snoop6060:

Non gore version is ok but the gore one is narrower, they will do a year of continuous use for sure but the sole unit is quite soft/grippy so if you use them on hard ground all the time they will wear much faster

John Alcock 24 Jun 2021
In reply to misterb:

I have a pair of TX guides and love them. I've just hammered them in the Cuillin with no signs of wear.

RebekahD 25 Jun 2021
In reply to AlanLittle:

I’ve had two pairs. The sole delaminated on the first, the second pair didn’t suffer the same fate but did eventually wear through the toe of them, similar to a climbing shoe.

They both lasted about 1.5 years of daily abuse each, which is more than most other shoes I’ve had. Heavy shoes and not ideal for clipping onto harness but they do climb really well.

galpinos 25 Jun 2021
In reply to John Alcock:

I have and love a pair too but they are quite narrow so maybe not ideal for the OPs feet.

OP snoop6060 25 Jun 2021
In reply to RebekahD:

If they last 1.5 years I'll be happy with that. it'll certainly be a record that's for sure. 

Twiggy Diablo 08 Jul 2021
In reply to robert-hutton:

Completely the other way round for me- my feet are 9.5 but had to buy a size 9 🤷‍♂️

TheGeneralist 09 Jul 2021
In reply to John Alcock:

> I have a pair of TX guides and love them. I've just hammered them in the Cuillin with no signs of wear.

I bought my TX4s and then used them for the first time to do the Cuilin ridge 2 days later. They were brilliant.

I have very narrow feet and they fit beautifully.

Encalomer 09 Jul 2021
In reply to snoop6060:

The TX4 are a fantastic approach shoes, quite durable... except for the sole. It has a great grip but it doesn't last as much as the rest of the boots. I've re-sole it (with a different sole) and I'm still using them.

Armadillo 09 Jul 2021
In reply to Encalomer:

> The TX4 are a fantastic approach shoes, quite durable... except for the sole. It has a great grip but it doesn't last as much as the rest of the boots. I've re-sole it (with a different sole) and I'm still using them.

I've loved mine, but I'm getting to that point now - who did you use for the resole, and are you happy with the result?

Thanks

In reply to Encalomer:

> It has a great grip but it doesn't last as much as the rest of the boots

That's the eternal compromise for sole materials; grip vs durability. The shallow sole pattern of the TX4 somewhat exacerbates that. I've got other shoes where the upper packed up before the sole was barely marked, but had poor grip (Merrell, I'm looking to you). The TX4 was a good compromise of grip and sole/upper life.

Tigger 10 Jul 2021
In reply to snoop6060:

I've had mine just over a year, the sole is wearing faster than Boulder X and the orange lace threading system is wearing through in a couple of places, the uppers seem to be holding together ok.

So, I think my next pair will be back to Boulder X,  they're heavier but much more comfortable and I find climbing in them easier.

Encalomer 11 Jul 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

I totally agree. TX4 are great boots for climbing easy routes where you care more about grip than durability.

I now have the regular soles that my cobbler fix for me and I have to say that the grip is not bad at all. Definitely not as grippy as the original sole, but still quite good for easy climbing.

maxsmith 12 Jul 2021
In reply to snoop6060:

They seem durable after two years of use but first thing I think will go is the second 'lace' which holds the actual shoe lace.  I like to tie them up tight and I can see this cord is fraying in places...anyone else had this problem?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...