Smock similar to old Rab Vapor Rise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 09 May 2019

Right here's the question:

Does anyone these days make a smock (not zipped jacket) like the old Rab Vapor Rise, the pertex type outer with thin pile inner and ideally a hood.

I had an original Vapor Rise and it was great, then they changed the design, added a hood which was great and made adjustments to the arms that made them absolute turd, then stopped making them altogether, so are there any similar alternatives?

Also, I would ideally not want to pay Rab prices, at the end of the day, it's just going to get trashed climbing in it.

Cheers

Frank

Siward 09 May 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

Buffalo's version perhaps:

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/teclite-shirt/

But you WOULD have to pay Rab prices!

OP Frankie boy 09 May 2019
In reply to Siward:

Yeah, to be honest, I have seen the Buffalo ones, but I'm not keen on the prices. When I bought my Montane Extreme Smock, It was way cheaper than the equivalent Buffalo, had extra protective layers on the elbows and shoulders, and I didn't have to pay extra for the hood and I feel the quality is just as good. 

leon 1 09 May 2019
In reply to Frankie boy: Montane do a lighter version of the Extreme Smock which is closer to the old Rab smocks but still not cheap unless you can find them in a sale

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-synthetic-ins...

Post edited at 09:18
OP Frankie boy 10 May 2019
In reply to leon 1:

Thanks, that looks more like it, however I'd hope it was one heck of a sale.

HeMa 10 May 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

Marmot DriCLime pullover might suit ya, but not sure if they are readily available.

Other option might be PataGucci NanoAir Light Hoody. Bigger sizes seem to be sale on Patagucci webpage.

doz 10 May 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

See it as a long-term investment and the price is less scary...my buffalo shirt is twenty years old...plenty patches but will last another twenty

Bit better for our weary, scarred planet as well.....

Siward 10 May 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

The extreme smock is a different beast--much thicker pile than the teclite stuff (the jacket I linked does have a hood). Also buffalo say that protective patches just interfere with effective wicking away of moisture, which is why they are rare on their garments.

I can't see any cheap alternative to the old rab stuff. Perhaps Decathlon do something? 

Sheffield Sam 10 May 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

What size are you looking for? I’ve a small blue smock I brought getting on 10 years ago which hasn’t seen heaps of use. 

Thanks

Sam

r0b 10 May 2019
 soularch 10 May 2019
In reply to r0b:

I've got one of the Alpkit's and it has very light insulation, not even as warm as the Vapour-rise Alpine which I hoped it would be a cheaper sub for (as the hood on the new Alpine is too big really for a good hillwalking jacket now it's helmet compatible).

OP Frankie boy 12 May 2019
In reply to Sheffield Sam:

Hi, are you referring to a Vapor Rise smock or a Montane Extreme smock?

OP Frankie boy 12 May 2019
In reply to r0b:

Yeah, sounds picky but I'm really after a smock rather than a zipped jacket.

The zip really annoys me in my harness.

Sheffield Sam 12 May 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

It’s a Vapor Rise, a blue smock with a hood

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...