Small feet aren't always low volume!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kathrync 24 Feb 2020

Am I the only person becoming increasingly annoyed with this?

My feet are around size 2.5.  They are also wide, and I have a high instep. Once upon a time, I had a small but reasonable selection of climbing shoes available to me.  Now, it seems that most manufacturers only make smaller sizes in their low volume lasts.  Often, these are so tight in the width that I can't physically get my feet into them.  Please, please make small sizes with normal lasts as well as LV!

Anyone know of any options available in size 2 or 2.5 for wide, high volume feet?!

bpmclimb 24 Feb 2020
In reply to kathrync:

I sympathise: I have short, wide feet, for which the options have always seemed very limited.

The pre-Adidas takeover Anasazi VCS worked for me, but I've heard that the new ones are a little narrower (and there are various other negative opinions circulating, too). I have some Scarpa Instinct VS which have some width to them, and very recently (today, as it happens) bought the blue ones (VSR?) which size and fit the same, and are softer and have stickier rubber - great fit, but I've yet to use them in anger. 

Approach shoes, walking boots: Meindl are pretty wide. I've had a pair of Vakuum GTX for years; they're very reliable, waterproof, comfortable, with a wide and short profile. I really liked my old 5.10 Tennie Canvas, but when they finally fell to bits I bought a pair of the post-takeover leather Tennies, and they're nowhere near as good, IMO.

Socks: I avoid any socks which claim to fit any size, or a wide range - I always end up with bagginess around heel and/or toes. Bridgedale Womens' medium work for me, FWIW. 

The biggest problem I have is buying gloves. I have hands which match my feet - short fingers and wide palms - and pretty much every glove wide enough has overly long fingers. I've yet to solve this one - suggestions gratefully received!

dinodinosaur 24 Feb 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

I have the opposite problem being large footed with a low volume shape... It's hard to find a well fitting shoe! 

OP kathrync 24 Feb 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

Yes, I liked the pre-Adidas Anasazi VCS too. I did have trouble getting hold of those in small sizes, but in that case it wasn't FiveTen's fault - retailers only stocked the LV version in small sizes but FiveTen was making them and it was possible to order them.  This thread was prompted by looking at Unparallel shoes, where the LV version of the UP Rise VCS is available in my size, but the normal version is not.

I have been looking at the Scarpa options you mention - still to find someone stocking them in a size I can try, but it's good to know they fit you - I'll persist with that!

As for gloves - my usual problem is that my little finger is proportionally shorter than any of my other fingers, so the end of that one always flaps about. Weirdly, Black Diamond gloves fit me well!

OP kathrync 25 Feb 2020
In reply to kathrync:

Just wanted to give some positive feedback for Unparallel - the UK distributor saw this thread and has contacted me privately to try to help me find what I am looking for.  Thanks very much!

MischaHY 26 Feb 2020
In reply to kathrync:

For the sake of information even if this is already solved - Butora make the Narsha Orange and Acro Orange (high volume) in sizes down to UK 2. 

https://www.butora.com/Product/Detail/view/pid/329/cid/15/spn/Narsha-Orange 

OP kathrync 26 Feb 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

Thanks for this - I hadn't even heard of Butora!  I have ordered a pair of the UP rise in a 3, which is the smallest they go. If they turn out to be too big, I'll definitely have a look at these!

misterb 26 Feb 2020
In reply to kathrync:

Sportiva solution and skwama go down to 2 

Scarpa vsr and booster down to a 3

Couple of the boreal like mutant go down to a 4 and you only need to downsize 1 uk for a tight fit

All the evolve shoes come out small and size up close to shoe size

If you really measure 2.5 UK on a brannock device and want to fit  tight for performance

It might be a struggle even with the suggestions above

Good luck

OP kathrync 27 Feb 2020
In reply to misterb:

> Sportiva solution and skwama go down to 2 

I have never found Sportiva shoes to fit my feet particularly well - I have katana VCS in a 2 at the moment which are fine in the length, but painful across the width. Tried other models with similar results.

> Scarpa vsr and booster down to a 3

> Couple of the boreal like mutant go down to a 4 and you only need to downsize 1 uk for a tight fit

Tried these options, they are both too big.  I think Scarpa have some models that go down to 2 if I can get hold of them though.

> All the evolve shoes come out small and size up close to shoe size

That's good to know - I don't know what their smallest sizes are, but I'll have a look at the range.

> If you really measure 2.5 UK on a brannock device and want to fit  tight for performance

I really do measure 2.5 on a brannock device, at least I did last time I had my feet measured properly.  My right foot is closer to 2.  I am not looking for a performance fit (that's not really an option anyway), but I don't want my shoes to be sloppy either.  A 3 is ok from some manufacturers, but many are bigger than I would like.

> It might be a struggle even with the suggestions above

Yeah, used Anasazi VCS in a 2 for close to 15 years after going through a similar process to find something I liked back then - hopefully I'll find something I like eventually.  At least part of the problem is in what retailers stock rather than in what manufacturers make - it makes trying things on a very long-winded process, and I often have to order directly from distributors where that is possible.

> Good luck

Thanks - I'll get there eventually.  This is frustrating, but not as tortuous as finding ski boots for touring was!

MischaHY 08 Mar 2020
In reply to kathrync:

In fairness the Skwama is far wider than the Katana. It's important not to write a whole brand off because one or two shoes don't fit, as different models often have very different forms and it's likely you can find one that fits

OP kathrync 12 Mar 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

> In fairness the Skwama is far wider than the Katana. It's important not to write a whole brand off because one or two shoes don't fit, as different models often have very different forms and it's likely you can find one that fits

Perhaps - I haven't seen the Skwama available to try on in my size anywhere so I don't know for sure.  It is, however, more downturned than I like anyway.

HeMa 12 Mar 2020
In reply to kathrync:

Unfortunatelu no, 'cept perhaps loook into unlined slippers (e.g. Cobra, Speedster and Maverink), as they strech.

That being said, all feet are different. Some are small, have a high arch, narrow heel and wide toes... others are small, low arch, regular heel and narrow toes and pretty much any other configuration...

Kind of hard to cater for all... And some combo's are quite rare -> not worth the business effort... same thing with clothing (numerous other rants about it here).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...