Slow leak on air mattress - suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 von_donsburg 04 Oct 2021

I have an air mattress which I find great in all respects, except for the fact that it has developed a slow leak. 

I've tried to find the leak a number of times with no success. I either can't find any leak, or I find a tiny one and patch it only to discover the problem remains.

I'd be grateful for any tips. At this point my best idea is to coat the whole thing in some sort of sealant chemical (like Fabsil or inner tube goo...?) in the hope of plugging any micro holes. I don't mind if it increases the weight and bulkiness a bit.

Perhaps it's just time for a new mattress, but I prefer to fix things when possible.

JohnV 04 Oct 2021
In reply to von_donsburg:

You could try some of that puncture sealant which you put inside inner tubes, so it then seals holes on its way out with the leaking air. I guess you'll have to have it well pumped up and then spin it like mad to get enough of it coating the inside to then also get out of the hole?

They all leak slowly, even when new. In my experience the stoppers tend to be a weak point, partly because the bung has to be really sealing and the whole input pipe plus bung has to be pushed right in.

John Ww 05 Oct 2021

Sleep faster? 😁

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 Oct 2021

Blow it up, sit on it, wet it with a damp cloth bit by bit and watch for bubbles. Fix with Seam Grip. That’s what I did 

Chris 

Hat Dude 05 Oct 2021

There seems to be a weak point where the fabric meets the corner of the glued in block that holds the valve, I've had 3 develop pin hole leaks here. Seam seal or a similar flexible glue works for a while.

My current mattress has an ideal slow leak which is perfectly synchronised with my bladder and needing to get up for a pee in the night.

LastBoyScout 05 Oct 2021
In reply to Hat Dude:

> There seems to be a weak point where the fabric meets the corner of the glued in block that holds the valve, I've had 3 develop pin hole leaks here. Seam seal or a similar flexible glue works for a while.

Had exactly the same on one of my mats - dab of seam sealant on each corner and no more problems.

Phil1919 05 Oct 2021

Submerge it in bathful of water?

Pina 05 Oct 2021
In reply to Phil1919:

If you smear washing up liquid it helps make it more obvious, do it somewhere quiet and you can often hear a small bubbling noise.

OP von_donsburg 05 Oct 2021

Thanks for all the replies, it's given me the impetus to have another go at it in various ways.

I have tried most of the leak-finding methods but I think the hole or holes are too fine, hence my idea about coating the whole thing. I'm just not sure what substance would be most appropriate to do that?

tjin 05 Oct 2021

Just one check; are you sure it's not the air that shrinks during the cold night? (more noticable when filling the mat with your breath then with a pump).

OP von_donsburg 05 Oct 2021
In reply to tjin:

> Just one check; are you sure it's not the air that shrinks during the cold night?

Yes it's a great point but it's definitely not that (although it's a high volume mat so that does happen)

CantClimbTom 07 Oct 2021

Did you stick it in the bath (with water in) like phil1919 suggested and then sit on it? Did you find the leak?

Trangia 07 Oct 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Yeah, immersing it fully inflated in a bath of water has always worked for me when trying to detect even the smallest of leaks.

OP von_donsburg 07 Oct 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Did you stick it in the bath (with water in) like phil1919 suggested and then sit on it? Did you find the leak?

I did, a few times. The first time I did find a tiny leak and successfully patched it but the mattress still deflated, perhaps slower. The second time I couldn't find any leaks despite painstaking checking. I'll give it another go soon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...