Sleeping Mats. Help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 29 Jul 2019

So I have two sleeping mats, I have used them both individually and also doubled them up with each other.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-air-inflatable-camping-sleeping-mat-red...

https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/camp/sleeping/ultralight-mat/

Yet I still have not found anything that I have a decent nights sleep on.

Can anyone offer some advice on a decent sleeping mat? Comfort is a priority over size/weight, but also keen not to carry too much weight. (That said I usually take both on current trips, so anything around that combined weight would be fine.)  

Thanks!

Guy Hurst 29 Jul 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Doubling the Sea to Summit one up with a closed cell foam mat should give more comfort and also stop a lot of heat escaping into the ground (neither of the mats you have offer much insulation). Some of better closed cell mats only weigh around 300g, although they're a bit bulky. Also, they don't cost much.

Emilio Bachini 29 Jul 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

If you’ve got a single bed sheet you don’t mind taking camping I’ve found them to stop me slipping around, which although not adding anything or much in terms of cushioning and insulation, greatly improve my nights.

As Guy said, a closed cell mat is a good call.

Emilio. 

cb294 29 Jul 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

ME aerostat down mat. Stop looking elsewhere. Much less noise than the ultralight mats (e.g. neo airs) and less slippery and more robust than the exped down mats. I just bought my second after the first was confiscated by my wife....

CB

ScraggyGoat 29 Jul 2019

Can concur ~ Ultra lights mats like neoair are noisy,  Exped lightweights although rated in the UKC gear test are not that robust, Closed cell foam base to a sea to Summit does make a difference.

Are you a side sleeper? if so the sea to summit probably doesn't quiet have enough support / thickness. 

I have the same problem, perfectly comfortable, but rarely get a good nights sleep, though can't quiet figure out why. Tried both sea to summit and expeds, with similar outcome, but found sea to summit to be slightly more comfortable.

OP Ben_Climber 29 Jul 2019
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

I certainly am a side sleeper and I think that is what part of the issue is.

I'm planning on doing the Cape Wrath trail next year and the thought of 3 weeks walking with no sleep is not appealing.

I've had a look at the ME one suggested above and the https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/sleeping-mats/comfort-plus-si-mat/

In the past i've been bothered about price or weight but I think that the comfort is paramount now.

In reply to Ben_Climber:

Not complaining about my two NeoAirs, XLite Regular and XTherm Large. I think they have found a way to mitigate the crisp bag noise. The XLite is fine for 3 season use, while the XTherm is good for winter glaciers without an extra foam mat (and for car camping comfort).

cp123 29 Jul 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I have an exped synmat (not the ultralight version) and I think it is very comfy, the insulation inside does make it warmer too.

The UL versions look good as they are lighter and so do the the mountain equipment version as well, either with down or synthetic insulation.

Dan Arkle 29 Jul 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Train yourself to be a back sleeper! 

It isn't as hard as you might think. It'll make camping much easier, and in my case helped solve some shoulder problems too. 

Also, if using two mats, have the top one really soft. 

arch 29 Jul 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Exped downmat 7 for me. It was a LW one , but superb comfort and warmth for me. I'm a back sleeper which probably helps.

Emilio Bachini 29 Jul 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Just be prepared to receive evil glares from tired eyes, as any friends or acquaintances you share a space with got almost no sleep because of relentless snoring. 

Dell 30 Jul 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Get a decent pillow. I just got the Alpkit 'Drift' and it's a vast improvement on 'drybag with a jacket in it'

Belle74 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I use a combination of a Thermarest RidgeRest & a Multimat Superlite Air.

I've used this combo in the Brecon Beacons and in the Cairngorms during winter months with out feeling any cold coming up from the ground. I also find the Multimat realy comfortable.

Granted the RidgeRest is a little bulky but even together these two are still cheaper than most of what's out in the market these days and in my opinion does a better job.

Medleysdad 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Very good comparative review in this month's TGO.  Like you I find them pretty uncomfortable, but the Sea to Summit get's Chris's seal of approval!

andyd1970 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Thermarest Trail Pro in a size large

Supposed to be really comfy but not tried one myself as I use a Sea to summit ultralight insulated but that’s more to do with the weight

afx22 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

If you’re car camping, then the Exped Megamat is brilliant.  It’s bulky and heavy but super comfy.  Thermarest and Sea to Summit also make similar.  They’re not cheap though

girlymonkey 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Dell:

Yep, pillow is key. I have a sea to summit one which I find super comfy. Vastly better than the jacket and dry bag option

goatee 18 Aug 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

https://www.thermarest.com/ie/prolite-plus

I've had this for years. Camped on glaciers and everything else you can think of and it has never given a problem. I'm a side sleeper and a twist and turner. It is very quiet and non slip. I have tried plenty of others in the search foe super low weight and packability but I keep returning to this.

In reply to Ben_Climber:

I find the secret with inflatable mats is not to over-inflate. In fact, I usually inflate, and then let some air out when I go to bed. A simple screw valve makes that very easy.

And a good pillow...

My inflatable mats are mummy-shaped, which isn't always great; may have to look at that decathlon mat...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...