Sleeping bag choice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stayfreejc 22 Mar 2018

I am just after some advice regarding upgrading my sleeping bag. Im trying to keep weight down, so am trying to work out if it makes more sense to buy a lighter cheaper down bag and just wear more layers if I get cold, or just bite the bullet and get a heavier more expensive bag. I will mainly be using it in the UK and don't expect to go below -6ish. I was looking between the Rab Neutrino 200 and 400 with a preference towards the 200. Does anybody have any experience with using sleeping bags outside their temp rating but compensating by wearing layers? I've always used a big heavy synthetic winter bag so have never had a problem with this in the past. Any advice/experience shared would be of great help.

Jonny 22 Mar 2018
In reply to stayfreejc:

I've been only midly chilly in a windy 4000m alpine blizzard in a 18 degC Decathlon synthetic bag, with a light synthetic jacket on. If the -6 deg days will be rare, I'd definitely go for the 200.

nniff 22 Mar 2018
In reply to stayfreejc:

Trial and error over the years has taught me that it's warmer to use additional layers as a blanket inside a sleeping bag than to wear them.  Having said that, being cold overnight is miserable and debilitating over any sustained period of time.  It therefore all rather depends upon how much weight and space is an issue, over what period of time.

Andy Johnson 22 Mar 2018
In reply to stayfreejc:

> Does anybody have any experience with using sleeping bags outside their temp rating but compensating by wearing layers?

I find that wearing a jacket or other thick layer inside a bag can be constricting and make me sweaty, which affects my sleep. My preference is to put the bag inside a bivvy bag (rab survivalzone in my case) to extend its range.

But for anything other than a fast-and-light overnighter, I'd rather have a good nights sleep in a slightly heavier bag than shave a few hundred grammes off my pack weight. Poor sleep can ruin an outdoor experience.

(I'm assuming you're referring to UK or similar use. I have no experience of alpine conditions.)

Post edited at 16:48
 random_watcher 22 Mar 2018
In reply to stayfreejc:

What sleeping mat are you using? Might be worth looking at a new mat for weight saving as the warmth to weight ratio of some newer mats (such as the XTherm) might allow you to use a much lighter bag than you would otherwise.

OP stayfreejc 22 Mar 2018
In reply to random_watcher:

I'm using a thermorest xlite which is a great bit of kit. My current sleeping bag weighs over 2kg and my bag nearly 3kg. I ended up with Achilles tendonitis after my last backpacking trip so am on a mission to lighten my kit. Ultimately I need a sleeping bag warm enough for the majority of UK weather that will compress down enough to fit into a smaller rucksack. My current ruck sack is 70 litres but want something along the lines of an Osprey exo 58. With my current kit I have no chance of fitting it in. 

olddirtydoggy 22 Mar 2018
In reply to stayfreejc:

Look at the pHD down bags when they have the seasonal offers. The 350 Minim is £275 at the moment and goes down to -2. Alternatively post a wanted thread on here and you might be surprised what comes back.

oldie 23 Mar 2018
In reply to stayfreejc:

I have an older model Alpkit Pipedream 400 probably lower specs and slightly heavier than similar Rab bags. It is in fact better in some ways than my old low temperature bag since the narrower bag with little space around the body, neck baffle and good hood closure seems to maximise efficiency (probably most reputable bags have these now). 

Lowest temp use I am sure of -4C, old karrimat, silk liner, light clothing, tent....very warm. 

Obviously anything which compresses the down either from above or within due to excess clothing will be counterproductive. Again obvious but a good compression bag is great for reducing the volume....if I ram extra items in with the sleeping bag I get more in the space (possibly self delusion!).

Guy Hurst 23 Mar 2018
In reply to stayfreejc:

On most of my UK trips from mid autumn to the end of spring I'd be very uncomfortable in a bag with just 200g of fill — not to the point of it being dangerous, just unpleasant. I'd go for one with more fill, be sure of getting a decent night's sleep and just live with carrying a bit more weight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...