Simond (Decathlon) Approach Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DizzyVizion 23 Apr 2021
Thread moved from Rocktalk to Gear

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-waterproof-approach-shoes-rock-black/_/...

These approach shoes are waterproof, have a vibram sole, look half decent, and are only £79.99. Where's the catch?

Does anyone know what they're like? I'm interested in knowing the width at the front (I have wide'ish feet), and what the build and material quality is like. I've bought Decathlon gear before and some bits didn't appear to have fully completed the manufacturing process before ending up on a shelf with a price tag on it.

These are fairly inexpensive when compared to similar footwear from the big guns; Scarpa, La Sportiva etc. So I'm a little bit suspicious.

CurlyStevo 23 Apr 2021
In reply to DizzyVizion:

I’ve generally had a good experience with the Simond branded stuff

Max factor 23 Apr 2021
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Weird. I was looking at their website for approach shoes only yesterday and didn't spot these.

£80 for decathlon branded stuff is a princely sum. They did some non waterproof approach shoes for about £20 last year. I didn't buy at the time and they don't seem to do them any more.

Let us know how they are. My main concern is they look a bit sweaty/plasticy.

CurlyStevo 23 Apr 2021
In reply to Max factor:

Yeah they are waterproof too, bit of a risk with a potentially cheap liner.

OP DizzyVizion 23 Apr 2021
In reply to Max factor:

> Let us know how they are. My main concern is they look a bit sweaty/plasticy.

Apparently they have suede uppers with a waterproof membrane, which is good because I'm based in Scotland.

They do have that plastic look to them though. Hopefully the suede isn't that horrible, almost inflexible suede. Going by the price I'm almost certain it will be.

Be good if they could manage big hill days and give my B1 boots a break. And a Cuillin ridge traverse... without blisters... or wet feet... or panic attacks because I feel like my footing isn't secure.

In reply to DizzyVizion:

Check the width. Decathlon shoes, being French, tend to be a rather narrow fit for the averagely wider British foot.

Having said that, I have some Simond winter boots and they are fine.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mountaineering-boots-alpinism-bleu/_/R-p-1563...

Jasonic 23 Apr 2021
In reply to DizzyVizion:

They used to be about £30 so that seems expensive! 

OP DizzyVizion 23 Apr 2021
In reply to Jasonic:

£30? For a pair of waterproof shoes with a vibram sole?

A link to that would be nice!

;  )

OP DizzyVizion 24 Apr 2021
In reply to DizzyVizion:

I've just ordered a pair so will let you know how I get on with them.

I just hope they fit.

ste_d 24 Apr 2021
In reply to DizzyVizion:

I've found the mid soles on other decathlon shoes to be a bit lacking in support at times especially if I were thinking about rocky terrain... These may be better, life is like a piece of cake, you never know if you'll like it till you try and then it's too late!

OP DizzyVizion 24 Apr 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Check the width. Decathlon shoes, being French, tend to be a rather narrow fit for the averagely wider British foot.

> Having said that, I have some Simond winter boots and they are fine.

I did consider those boots before. They look ready for business.

If these shoes are a bit narrow at the front, I'm hoping the suede upper will stretch and mould a bit. Wishful thinking maybe. But at £79.99, it's worth a punt in my opinion.

Webster 25 Apr 2021
In reply to DizzyVizion:

aside from the fact that they look a bit ugly to me... im sure they are fine. decathlon stuff is generally excelent value for money, and simmond is the more technical mountain orientated in house brand which out specs the quechua brand which is more jo bloggs going for a walk in the park.

however i wouldt call that cheap by decathlon standards, at the moment you can pick up many la sportiva approach shoes at around that price from various online retailers. I have a pair of the TX 2 from Epic TV online store which cost just over £80, and if you are around UK 8.5 you can find them even cheaper!

OP DizzyVizion 27 Apr 2021
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Shoes arrived today, and although they arrived the way Decathlon shoes normally do; loose in a bag tethered together by an elasticated bit of string- I've so far been very impressed.

First off, the front is not narrow at all. I'd say the width at the front is average. They fit me well anyways; I'm usually a size 8.5 but ordered an 8 and this was the right way to go. So downsize by a half and you should be in business.

The material quality feels nice. The suede is great; it's nice an supple, and the banding over the toes is a nice rubber, as is the banding around the sides which I feared would be plastic but isn't. The vibram sole feels really sticky too.  

The laces aren't the best, but they should do the job alright.

They feel comfortable yet robust without feeling weighty. So far, so good.

But this is just from wearing them around the house. I may be going up Glencoe this Sunday to climb West Route up the Buachaille's North Buttress again. And if I do, I'll maybe wear these.

Ian Patterson 27 Apr 2021
In reply to Webster:

> however i wouldt call that cheap by decathlon standards, at the moment you can pick up many la sportiva approach shoes at around that price from various online retailers. I have a pair of the TX 2 from Epic TV online store which cost just over £80, and if you are around UK 8.5 you can find them even cheaper!

The TX2 is a super-lightweight approach shoe so not really equivalent to the Decathlon shoes, TX4 or TX4 GTX would be nearer and they are 117 or 122 at Epic.

Max factor 27 Apr 2021
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Thanks for the report. Might check them out myself as my Scarpa cruxes are just about shot. 

lumu_tit 28 Apr 2021
In reply to DizzyVizion:

It is a shame they stopped making the cheaper approach shoes, the ones at £30 were actually really good. I have a pair that have lasted me 3 years and are still holding up.

https://freedomflux.com/decathlon-quechua-nh500-long-term-review/

They haven't introduced anything similar yet.

Doug 28 Apr 2021
In reply to lumu_tit:

they still sell shoes with the same name, at least in France, but they have clearly changed the design (https://www.decathlon.fr/p/chaussures-de-randonnee-nature-nh500-homme/_/R-p... ). Shame as my 2 year old pair are starting to show signs of wear & I don't like the new model

In reply to Doug:

> they still sell shoes with the same name, at least in France, but they have clearly changed the design (https://www.decathlon.fr/p/chaussures-de-randonnee-nature-nh500-homme/_/R-p... ). Shame as my 2 year old pair are starting to show signs of wear & I don't like the new model

These were on the shelf in Warrington decathlon yesterday. Wasn't what I was in for so didn't look at them.

In reply to lumu_tit:

I tried a pair of NH500 in 2017. They were very narrow, so they went straight back.

I had a pair of Forclaz 700 in 2014. They were just about wide enough, but did punch my little toes a bit. Other than that, they were pretty good shoes.

Webster 28 Apr 2021
In reply to Ian Patterson:

yes and there are lots of retalers, not just epic, selling off the full range of la sportiva shoes in last years colours, or sometimes next years as sample sales (rock and run springs to mind).

OP DizzyVizion 28 Apr 2021
In reply to lumu_tit

I owned a pair of the £30 quechua branded shoes before - very decent for the price. The suede was good, and the sole I think was the same as used on Salomon boots at the time. Mine were a touch too large though and I didn't exchange them due to the hassle. But they done me for local hill walks and suchlike. My brother once followed me up a severe in a pair of them by accident. I was supposed to go up the v diff, but the severe looked better. By the time he realised, it was too late. The concerned look on his face as he approached the crux was just priceless!

These new Simond approach shoes are fantastic. I went rock hopping in them earlier and the sole is so grippy, it was great fun! They felt very sturdy and nimble. I'll stick my neck out and say they are better than the Scarpa Crux I recently owned (I sold them on ebay as they just didn't work out for me). But that's just one mans opinion.

In reply to DizzyVizion:

Weren't any in the Reading branch this evening.

Removed User 29 Apr 2021
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Having had a few bits of Simond gear I'd say no problems with any of it. My thinking is the prices are due to a mix of not having to cover their own marketing, supply & warehousing costs, and not putting out one-season-only market space competition stuff.

In Japan they are still their own brand and not carried in the few Decathlons in the country, rather in climbing stores where they price like everything else and have their own cult as per Petzl etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...