Seam Sealing old tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 23 Jul 2021

Hi all,

I have an old (2010/11) F10 Nitro 200+. It needs seam sealing as the tape is delaminating.

I've applied a small dab or silicone and another of seamgrip to the outer, the seamgrip peeled off easily after 12 hours, whilst the silicon has firmly adhered, so I assume the outer is Silnylon with a PU backing on the inside.

I'm going to seal the tent on the outside with diluted silicone or Permatex, but does anyone know how best to do the inner once I've peeled the seam tape off? I will do another silicone + seam grip test patch, but was basically wondering of anyone had a betyer approach. Maybe doing both sides is a bit belt and braces but hey-ho.

Cheers
Michael

OP Tigger 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Tigger:

Can you actually get PU backed Silnylon? With polyurethane glue not sticking to the outer I assume its silnylon? But the outer does seem to have a PU backing.

crayefish 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Tigger:

Can't help with the seam sealing, but your F10 fabric is probably the same as mine (I have the F10 Xenon).  It is indeed nylon with silicone outer and PU inner... but not proper sil-nylon like you'd find on high end tents; it's 'siliconised' which is a different (much cheaper) process.  Its crap stuff in all honesty (especially with the stretching when wet), although pretty light and makes for good value tents.

OP Tigger 23 Jul 2021
In reply to crayefish:

Hmm ok I'll go with a silicone based sealant on the outer then and hopefully dilute seam grip on the inner side.

My Helium 200 is the same I guess. I foolishly used seam grip on the outer assuming it was just PU coated, the seam grip is now peeling (fortunately quite easily)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...