REVIEW: Scarpa's New SL Active Boot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 06 Nov 2018
SL Active montageScarpa's SL boot is 35 this year. A lot has changed in the outdoor world since then; now in its ninth version, has the new SL Active kept pace?

Read more
 planetmarshall 06 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I think it's particularly appropriate that this review should pop up when the longevity of modern gear is being discussed on the forum. Looks like robust, quality (but heavyweight) gear is still available for those who want it.

dove868 06 Nov 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

Agreed Planet Marshall.

I got my first pair of Scarpa SL's 11 years ago and they only started leaking (because the stitching finally failed where the leather meets the sole unit) last year - they had never been resoled and were on their second pair of laces.

Considering I purchased them for £90 with a D of E discount that is remarkable value for money in my opinion.

I was lucky enough to get a shiny new pair last Christmas which I hope will last for the next decade.

I use my gear a lot, including using boots daily in my job as a countryside ranger, however I also look after it - I think this is something that many folk don't bother with.

If you don't wash and proof things regularly and use it appropriately how can you expect it to last forever?

Final point I would make is this, in this trend of "ultra lightweight" some common sense is surely needed?!

I adhere to the mantra less is more (both in terms of items carried and what they weigh) however the one exception to this should surely be the item that carries it all!

Cheers

Toccata 06 Nov 2018

I have had 4 pairs of SLs since 2000 and they're good. Like all leather boots maintenance is key and I found to my cost that drying them too quickly (bothy fires), repeatedly lead to splitting on the uppers at the breakover point. I reckon I can walk 1500 miles before the soles wear too flat to provide adequate grip by which stage the uppers are getting leaky in boggy ground.

Interesting to note that at £250 the pence per mile is now more than my car.

Andypeak 06 Nov 2018
In reply to Toccata:

I reckon I can walk 1500 miles before the soles wear too flat to provide adequate grip by which stage the uppers are getting leaky in boggy ground.

I can only dream of getting that sort of distance from a boot sole.  I'm closer to 500 miles between resoles which is only about 9 month for me. 

benp1 07 Nov 2018

I have a pair of SL Activs, have been worn for a few trips now when I need proper boots - these are my only crampon compatible boots. Did a scottish winter course last winter and was in the alps a few weeks ago doing aiguille du tour, they were great

I don't know if the SL Activ is the same as the SL Active

I also wore them for a week in Lapland over xmas. It was cold, as you would imagine, but they were great. The rest of the family had Sorel winter boots, I just wore extra socks or a wool insole (not enough space in them to wear both together). 

Jasonic 07 Nov 2018

Think my SL's are 15 years old without a resole- need replacing but unlike most modern gear are built to last. Have been careful to keep them clean & waxed which may have helped longevity-

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...