Scarpa Phantom Tech

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rogerwebb 04 Mar 2020

Have the sole wear issues that bedevilled the first version of the Phantom Tech been resolved? 

I  need a new pair of boots, and I think conditions have just become really good. All information gratefully received. 

Post edited at 12:36
 richgac 05 Mar 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:

Yes, the latest version has a more robust sole with similar rubber to the old phantom guides. Beware the sizing and fit has changed at least from the phantom guides though (I ended up one size down with the new techs)

OP rogerwebb 05 Mar 2020
In reply to richgac:

Thanks for that. Very useful. 

Hope you are having a good winter 

In reply to rogerwebb:

Robin's got a pair, he really likes his, think I heard him mention going to resolve at end of season? 

Stuart

Alex Riley 05 Mar 2020
In reply to Stuart the postie:

He did have to pretty much pour them out on that day we met you at the hut a few weekends ago (thanks again for letting us in!). That said everyone and everything was totally soaked that day

Resole at end of season.

OP rogerwebb 05 Mar 2020

> Resole at end of season.

That answers the other question. Thanks

Good enough for Robin, may be the best advert they could have.

Post edited at 22:58
 Al Walker 06 Mar 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:

Especially if Robin hasn't broken them !!

CacCarnBeag 07 Mar 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:

I have these. Very roomy toebox which feels weird at first, but they are close fitting around the heel with zero heel lift.

I have them in size 40 and they feel slightly longer than my old Cumbres of the same size.

Walked through some pretty deep bogs and so far have not had wet feet in them.

I don't think they will be as durable as my old Cumbres though...

OP rogerwebb 07 Mar 2020
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

Thanks. Bog walking is the factor that many boots fall down on. 

Doghouse 07 Mar 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:

Just check the inside of the ankle bone area for fit.  There's a hard plasticy patch on mine which rubs in my ankle bone and is excruciating. 

CacCarnBeag 08 Mar 2020
In reply to Doghouse:

I also noticed this issue, hopefully they'll break in more.

ColdWill 08 Mar 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:

I haven't got the new ones but tried them out at home for a week. I dropped a size and a half from 45.5. They felt pretty good but were easy to over tighten and induce sore ankles. The bummer for me was that I could not get rid of the heel lift with a crampon on. More heel lift than any other boot I've tried actually. I ended up with a pair of the old techs but in a 45 so mayby I had them too big but don't get any heel lift in either of the old ones. 

OP rogerwebb 08 Mar 2020
In reply to ColdWill:

Thanks but was that asize and a half down from a Phantom Guide or a different boot? 

blackcat 08 Mar 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:Best find somewhere to try them on,i only had to down size half a size from phantom guides to the new phantom tech.

OP rogerwebb 08 Mar 2020
In reply to blackcat:

> Best find somewhere to try them on

Yes I think a trip to Aviemore is required. 

ColdWill 08 Mar 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:

From the old tech to the new tech. But prob just a full size as the old ones were a bit big. 

OP rogerwebb 16 Mar 2020
In reply to ColdWill:

Thanks to to everyone for the information. Brought a pair one size down, 47 from 48 and they seem to fit.

Probably just in time for the corona lock down... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...