PRODUCT NEWS: Scarpa Phantom Tech

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 13 Sep 2019
Phantom Tech The Phantom Tech is a super light, technically precise, gaitered boot for cold weather mountaineering and ice climbing. The new waterproof gaiter design uses PU Tek technology to create a lightweight but extremely durable outer with a high degree of dexterity and feel, while also helping to reduce the overall weight by 110g, making the Phantom Tech the lightest boot in its class.

Read more
 ColdWill 13 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC Gear:

So it’s these or two pairs of Nepal Cubes....

wbo2 13 Sep 2019
In reply to ColdWill:that would be really heavy

ColdWill 14 Sep 2019
In reply to wbo2:

Ha, just pointing out the amazing deals available atm. They are light though. 

TobyA 14 Sep 2019
In reply to ColdWill:

From a quick scan of prices: one and a half pairs of Nepal Cubes, but two pairs of Nepal Extremes if you don't mind shopping in big French sports behemoths.

Considering that I bought my Nepal extremes in 2000 and they are still in fine working condition now, two pairs would almost certainly take me past my average life expectancy, so would probably see me out - which whilst a fine recommendation for boots, is somehow deeply depressing a thought!

I hope that if Scarpa are charging 500 quid for these beauties they've put a sole on them that doesn't wear down super quick or even worse crumble off in bits! 

ColdWill 14 Sep 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Def two pair of Cubes if you go to outside Heathersage. Might be getting low stock now. 

Word on the various blogs is that the se wear issue is sorted now on the Scarpas, remain to be proven of course. I just hope they've sorted the ankle padding out which prevents me from wearing my current phantoms Techs for more than one day a week.

If these are as good as they say then they may be worth it especially when you consider that they're only  £50 more than the Mont Blanc Pro on their Web site (which makes the Cubes look even better deal).

Post edited at 10:48
 Mr. Lee 14 Sep 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I would expect these boots to be warmer than Nepal Extremes though. I would have thought they would be overkill for the UK but good for ice climbing and Alpine stuff in the colder months. I've used Batura IIs, which also reportedly have soft-wearing soles, for a good few years now for ice and cold alpine and I've experienced almost no sole wear, since I'm generally above the snow/freezing line where they are probably best intended. I think the 6000 range becomes more problematic when it comes to sole wear as I personally find myself doing a lot more scree and glacier moraine bashing above BC in the greater ranges. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...