Rucksack gear loops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Johnson 03 May 2021

At the start of the first lockdown I bought a new climbing sack - a Mountain Hardwear Scrambler 35. I'm happy with it but because of the pandemic I've really only used it for walking and a bit of scrambling.

It has a couple of gear loops and I'm debating whether to chop them. They look kind of odd and they get hooked over things. I've done the odd multi-pitch route pre-lockdowns, and hope to do more, but I've never felt that my harness loops would be insufficient for anything in my modest range.

I like my gear to be simple and tend to distrust stuff I don't think I'll need. So before I get the scissors out, is there some use or point to them that I'm missing?

Basemetal 03 May 2021
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Unless your looking to hitch skis on, or like them for ice tool lanyards, I'd snip away. I still have them on my Scrambler 30 but TBH that's just because I might sell it on...

Maybe they'd be useful if you needed a little gear and weren't wearing a harness, but who ties into a bare rope these days?

Ungabunga73 03 May 2021

Good to carrry your clip stick ?

Cake 03 May 2021

I've seconded pitches with loads on my harness and wearing my rucksack with gear loops, but never been tempted to use the gear loops on it. 

Mine are never a problem, but if they were I'd chop them.

I tend to use the bottom bits of the shoulder straps below the padded bit so I've never seen the need for dedicated loops. One of my partner's swears by them though and has added them to every sack he owns. He prefers them at nipple height on the shoulder straps to on the waist belt though.

tehmarks 03 May 2021

I have an ancient Osprey pack with gear loops on the hip belt, and I've not once used them. I can't really envisage a scenario where I'd want to rack gear and not be wearing a harness.

Post edited at 12:59
 neuromancer 03 May 2021

I've used them when my rucksack hip belt is in use and/or the rucksack covers the gear loops. It's sometimes surprisingly difficult to find a clutch bit of gear (even if it is just a screwgate or a prussik) if it's on the back of a harness covered by a big pack (and even worse with skis on).

They sit flat, and you can always close the chest strap over them to prevent catching?

What's it costing you, 5g?

maxsmith 03 May 2021

I was considering paying ridiculous $$$ for a snazzy lightweight alpine pack but instead I cut off all the bits I didn’t use on an Osprey Talon 33 (hip belt/mobile phone holder/chest straps etc). Took the weight down to a respectable 650g - you can definitely notice the difference. I took the plunge after reading a Ray Jardine gear book where he recommended getting the scissors out, it’s very liberating!

top cat 03 May 2021

I add loops to any sack I'm likely to use in winter, and i rack gear on them all the time.  Very useful.  Wouldn't be without, which is why I add them if the sack doesn't have them from new.

Basemetal 03 May 2021
In reply to top cat:

You reminded me I do like gear loops on the chest straps and have added them on my winter sack. Work a bit like a bandolier and doubly handy if using leashes.

OP Andy Johnson 03 May 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

> What's it costing you, 5g?

Its not the weight. I just find them awkward.

OP Andy Johnson 03 May 2021
In reply to the thread:

Thanks for all the opinions!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...