Rope Wear - when to replace?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phildavies84 23 Oct 2020

I've got a 60mm Singing Rock rope bought about 5 years ago for a sport climbing trip (1 week). Since then its seen very little use, perhaps a few times a year. This is until recently when I moved somewhere which has meant I can get out on rock on a weekly basis. The sheath is in good condition, no furriness, no visible damage, can't see the core anywhere. There seems to be a meter section about a third of the way through the rope, where the core and sheath seems to have become separated i.e I can feel them moving separately. There don't seem to be any flat spots, which perhaps means the core isn't damaged.

Trawling through internet rope advice, I cant seem to find anything specific about this, as it usually seems to be at the ends where the knots are tied and the advice is to cut the ends.  I'm well aware of the "if you need to ask you should probably retire it" advice, and am happy to. Just wondering if I'm being overly cautious. Any advice would be apricated.

In reply to phildavies84:

60mm diameter? Or 60mm long??

Max Hangs 23 Oct 2020

If it was my rope, and as you described, if carry on using it (FWIW). 

Interesting question though, as I've never actually seen or felt this sheath slippage people describe myself, and I've had ropes that I've used more than your simond.

It's possible I'm not very observant I guess? Haha

Edit: flat spotting I HAVE witnessed, many times.

Post edited at 18:14
 gjd 23 Oct 2020

I've had wall ropes that have done this. I carried on using them until they were a pain jamming In the belay device. Moving the sheath off the end didn't work as the slippage was in the middle. 

I now buy unicore ropes which have lasted much longer. 

Post edited at 20:30
OP phildavies84 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Sorry 60m. Thanks for the advice. 

Post edited at 22:45
 Darron 24 Oct 2020

If it’s not snapped it’s good.

McHeath 24 Oct 2020

If you're asking, you obviously aren't sure about its state. You alone know what sort of falls you could be expecting on what sort of rock; if I had the slightest doubt, I'd chuck it or relegate it to safe top roping. I don't know how far you push yourself on lead, but if I had the slightest doubt about my rope or any other part of my gear, it would inhibit my climbing and spoil my enjoyment. I've just retired a 1 year old rope (cheap Simond, getting stiff and furry, with sheath slippage at a couple of points) after 9 months indoor and outdoor climbing 3 times a week. I took a hard 8m (enjoyable!) fall and thought ok, that's enough; shell out again, those are my bones I could be risking. You just don't know, and I'd rather err on the safe side. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...