Roof bag or roof box?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

We need more luggage hauling capacity so the roof is the obvious place to look. It'll be used properly (holidays and trips away) about six times a year for four or five kit bags of clothing/sportswear/wetsuits - approx. 50kg load. Box or bag though?

A bag would be preferable for off-vehicle storage* but I guess there's a trade off with how robust bags are and how they actually handle/carry luggage when driven, compared to a box.

Basically has anyone gone for a bag, regretted it and wants to tell me go straight for a box?

* The vehicle in question is rarely used throughout the week so the box could probably stay on. Disadvantages from anyone who's done this and also regretted it? 

Thanks, Stuart. 

​​​​

In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Bump, I'd like to know too! 

Simon Pelly 27 Jul 2021

We have a roof box that we use for many trips during the year.

I'd be put off using bags due to them being more vulnerable to thieves (popping in to service stations, etc...) and not as water tight/weather resistant as a box.

Fortunate enough so that when not being used we strap it to the under side of the rafters of our garage. This in turn actually becomes useful storage space too for body boards, buckets, spades, wetsuits, etc...

Simon...

chris_r 27 Jul 2021

If you've got somewhere to store it, get a box. If not, the bag comes into its own.

I cant go under height restraint barriers (eg car parks & the tip) with my roof box on, so keeping it on all year round if only needed for 4 trips a year isn't an option for me.

RobAJones 27 Jul 2021
In reply to Stuart (aka brt)

> * The vehicle in question is rarely used throughout the week so the box could probably stay on. Disadvantages from anyone who's done this and also regretted it? 

We have had a cheap Halfords box for over 20 years and it had probably spent half that time on the roof, no problems and it's effectively as good as new. Fuel economy might be an issue for some, but we normally have kayaks up their as well (it's a "ski" box). Being black it can get really hot at times, so I wouldn't for example leave a climbing rope in there. 

In reply to Simon Pelly:

> We have a roof box that we use for many trips during the year.

> I'd be put off using bags due to them being more vulnerable to thieves (popping in to service stations, etc...) and not as water tight/weather resistant as a box.

> Fortunate enough so that when not being used we strap it to the under side of the rafters of our garage. This in turn actually becomes useful storage space too for body boards, buckets, spades, wetsuits, etc...

> Simon...

Thanks. Storage in my shed could be fashioned such as you describe. 

In reply to chris_r:

> If you've got somewhere to store it, get a box. If not, the bag comes into its own.

> I cant go under height restraint barriers (eg car parks & the tip) with my roof box on, so keeping it on all year round if only needed for 4 trips a year isn't an option for me.

Good point. It's my wife's car and she cycles to work daily but practically height limits could be problematic. 

In reply to RobAJones:

> In reply to Stuart (aka brt)

> We have had a cheap Halfords box for over 20 years and it had probably spent half that time on the roof, no problems and it's effectively as good as new. Fuel economy might be an issue for some, but we normally have kayaks up their as well (it's a "ski" box). Being black it can get really hot at times, so I wouldn't for example leave a climbing rope in there. 

Thanks. Good to know. 

RobAJones 27 Jul 2021

> Thanks. Good to know. 

It just occurred to me, that due to the width of our bars, I made my own attachments out of stainless steel. Not sure if the standard ones would corrode if left on for an extended period. 

oldie 27 Jul 2021
In reply to chris_r:

> I cant go under height restraint barriers (eg car parks & the tip) with my roof box on, so keeping it on all year round if only needed for 4 trips a year isn't an option for me. <

A "height restraint barrier" can also be an ordinary garage. Those up and over doors make this more likely.

wilkie14c 27 Jul 2021

Can’t speak for a bag but i’ve had a box for nearly 20 years. Got the Exodus branded bars from Halfords (which are made by Thule) and just get the car specific fittings when car changes happen so I don’t have to change bar set ups. The box houses the bars and my 2 cycle carriers inside when it’s not being used and lives out of sight behind the shed.

Takes me 30 mins to put bars and box on the roof, aided by small step ladder. I find it best to put all soft stuff up there, sleeping bags, tent, clothes bags etc. 

Fuel wise, (mondeo diesel) I don’t notice any different just running about but 10 to 15% more when on a run, so not something you want to leave on all the time. Gets a bit whistle-y on the motorway but i just turn up the radio lol! You can feel a cross wind with the box on too and you should slow down a little if fully loaded up on wet motorways as they do change the dynamics of the car albeit subtly.

Its been a great addition for us and allows us to get away for weekends etc while leaving the back of the car empty for the doggo. Never regretted it, it’s been great even though it’s only used 3 or 4 times a year. Hope this helps.

In reply to wilkie14c:

> Can’t speak for a bag but i’ve had a box for nearly 20 years. Got the Exodus branded bars from Halfords (which are made by Thule) and just get the car specific fittings when car changes happen so I don’t have to change bar set ups. The box houses the bars and my 2 cycle carriers inside when it’s not being used and lives out of sight behind the shed.

> Takes me 30 mins to put bars and box on the roof, aided by small step ladder. I find it best to put all soft stuff up there, sleeping bags, tent, clothes bags etc. 

> Fuel wise, (mondeo diesel) I don’t notice any different just running about but 10 to 15% more when on a run, so not something you want to leave on all the time. Gets a bit whistle-y on the motorway but i just turn up the radio lol! You can feel a cross wind with the box on too and you should slow down a little if fully loaded up on wet motorways as they do change the dynamics of the car albeit subtly.

> Its been a great addition for us and allows us to get away for weekends etc while leaving the back of the car empty for the doggo. Never regretted it, it’s been great even though it’s only used 3 or 4 times a year. Hope this helps.

It does thanks. Do you do anything special about the storage (presume behind the shed equals uncovered/exposed)? 

BRILLBRUM 27 Jul 2021

We have a bag that has seen good use for trips around the UK and waaaaaaaaay in to France and Italy and have never had any problems with it. They cost less, pack down out of the way to almost nothing when not in-use and stays in the boot, ours has never leaked, is lockable (yes it could be slashed open but then again a thief will find their way in to anything, never moved when whipping down the motorway, and if packed correctly there's no chance of damage to the roof (towels and boogie boards in first).

Fixing to the roof was a doddle too, on the one car without roof bars we threaded the straps inside the car between the door and frame and then cinched tight. On the other car the permanent roof bars provided the necessary fixing points. You get A LOT of straps for your money. When the bag is only part full you cinch the straps down a bit tighter and compress the space accordingly.

You do get a little vibration/hum across the straps at speed but that's soon sorted out with a bit of fiddling around and I'm guessing roof boxes have their own unique noise too.

Other than cost, one of the biggest advantages over a roof box is size. For a lot less money than an equivalent box I got a bag that covered the majority of the car roof giving me a huge amount of extra space. 

Even with our A6 the bag is a god-send especially when the dog crate takes-up a chunk of boot space.

Impact on fuel economy however is dire when you put anything on top of your lovely, never designed for anything on the roof, aerodynamically perfect, pride and joy. 

wilkie14c 27 Jul 2021

> It does thanks. Do you do anything special about the storage (presume behind the shed equals uncovered/exposed)? 

No nothing, just hose/brush it off when we drag it out for use. I have the side with the locks facing down though, just so they aren’t getting the brunt of the weather 

Howard J 28 Jul 2021

I too have used a roof box for years, but I have the luxury of a garage to store it in, suspended from the ceiling. In theory this should allow me to simply lower it into place, but I can't get the car into the garage!

Most roof boxes are designed to be aerodynamic, and whilst there is some effect on mpg I find this is not too bad.  It's certainly not an issue for one-off trips but it might add up if you left the box on all the time.  There is some noise, but it's tolerable and I soon stop noticing it.

I've no experience of roof bags, but I would imagine they are far less aerodynamic, and I would have concerns about security. Of course a locked box is not impregnable, but breaking in might take a bit more time and attract more attention than simply slashing a bag or its retaining straps.  However if storage is a problem then a bag might make more sense.

Box for sure if you have space. Of almost greater importance is the fittings. Dont scrimp although some good deals to be had from eBay for folks who change cars.

Ive always had Thule boxes and Aero bars which have served me well.

I have a roof box, and we store it outside when not in use, although I appreciate that might not be practical for some (space or theft risk). 

2 points to make - ours opens from both sides, very useful. Ours was broken into when on the roof of the car just before Xmas (they can lever them open as the plastic bends without breaking) because this is a popular place to hide childrens xmas presents apparently. (Our box was empty)

Thanks all.

We're pulling the pin on a box. The decider was storage outside, which had never really occurred to me as an option. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...