Roca rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Potter 26 Jan 2015
Anyone out there used a Roca kalymnos rope? Any good? Seems like a bargain at £85!
 PPP 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Potter:

Known manufacturer, somewhat dry treated and with middle rope marker for same price (or lower if you have OE card):
http://www.tiso.com/shop/tendon/smart-rope-60m-x-10mm/
 Mr Lopez 26 Jan 2015
In reply to PPP:

Roca is a very well known manufacturer in Europe, and has been around for longer than most other ones. Recently bought by Fixe which are trying to sell them farther afield, like tiny islands in the North Atlantic...

To OP. They are very good ropes. Hard-wearing, bombproof, and safe as houses, but have a different handling feel to the bogstandard brands we are used to here which freaks out some people who thinks the rope 'must be broken'.

P.s. Talking about Roca ropes in general. Haven't got experience with this particular model
Post edited at 11:41
 lithos 26 Jan 2015
just bought one of the skinny ones from alpkit - (which i guess is where you are looking)
advertised as 41g/m (comes printed on the ROCA labels and on the ROCA website) by my scales
it's 45g/m which is a bit of pain as I wanted to reduce weight. (2.4Kg not close to 2.8)

looks and feels like a nice rope

Martin Bennett 26 Jan 2015
In reply to PPP:

Roca is a very highly regarded rope maker from Spain that's been around since the 19th century I've had a 60m x 8mm Roca half rope for almost 10 years used mainly for Winter in UK and Euro icefall climbing. It's the best rope I've ever had - stays dry and tangle free in all conditions. Sadly it's so old I'll have to retire it soon. I'll certainly be including Roca in the list of replacement options.
Alpjay 26 Jan 2015
In reply to lithos:

Hey Lithos - as explained on the feedback on the product 41gm is the manufacturers quoted weight per metre.

We listed the actual weight at 2.8kg for the whole rope, measured by us.

We have started selling the Roca Ropes and tech rock gear after a long relationship.

Hope this helps,
Jay
 lithos 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Alpjay:

yes I know (and in my reply your reply) and my message above says it's the on the labels /manufacturers info, doesn't stop it being advertised as such and I think its a fair warning to people looking for a super lightweight rope (41/42 g/m) thats this one is not as described (ie 41g/m)

>Hope this helps,
>Jay

not much for me !
 PPP 26 Jan 2015
In reply to PPP:
Just to clarify my post above, I did not mean that Roca is unknown brand - I just meant that there's another deal with similar price without compromises.

Edit: On the other hand, that's a better deal...
http://i.imgur.com/nKuE67S.png
Post edited at 14:32
 PPP 26 Jan 2015
In reply to lithos:

Any chance it's longer than specified with the same weight per meter? There was a comparison between rope lengths and weights per meter and why the ropes are heavier/lighter than specified. I'm on my phone, so can't get a link for that.
 lithos 26 Jan 2015
In reply to PPP:

yes, but i measured it at 61.5 ..62m (ish)
 TobyA 26 Jan 2015
In reply to lithos:

Weights per metre and actual lengths of ropes seem a bit of a nightmare; how did you actually measure it? I think the tension that the rope is under can probably make quite a big difference to length.
 lithos 27 Jan 2015
In reply to TobyA:

i measured it twice. i used a 10m rule. I measured out 20m themn tripled it.
Then I folded it in half and measured it (as it was coiling it) I also weighed it
on 2 sets of scales. it was not under tension. I could un it alonh the corridor etc
but i didn't want to mess about too much.

I weighed the labels and packaging that came with it at 109g

bear in mind this is a brand new rope and weighs (as alpkit note) 2800g.
It should weight 2460 at 41, or 2501 at 61 or even 2542 at 62
still someway off 2800. Let's say i am rubbish at measuring at it actually a whopping
65m long (giving me an extra 8.3% extra rope) thats still 43g/m

bottom line I bought the rope expecting it to be < 2500 and it's
significantly heavier (>10% than that)

Alpjay 27 Jan 2015
In reply to lithos:

Hey -

I'll try and work this out - you got 61.5 metres (I'm not sure how you measured each curve etc.)

61.5 x 41 g = 2.521 kg
Packaging = 109 g
Total = 2.630 kg

But when you measured it, it was 2.8 kg so we have lost 170g to nothing?

The rope measured by the manufacturer is 41 g/m , I would add that due to heat seals, end tags and the build up of nylon at the end of a rope you may need to account for around 100g - therefore assuming that the length is 61.5 there is an extra 70g - spread across the rope that's an extra 1 g per metre <2.5% different.

I would say that is an acceptable weight difference - but I would also say that if measured the rope may be 62.5 metres with each bend - which means we were 29g out (< 1% difference)

We have accurately weighed each rope and have stated the total weight on the product pages.

Jay

lithos 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Alpjay:

Hi jay

i am not trying to get into a spat here but there are some big assumptions there which i don't agree on (100g for end of rope and markers , extra m in bends)

yes you do state on your website it is 2800 but it's not the headline advertised weigh and as you say you measure it with packaging. Perhaps thats what I should have focused on is total weight when being carried up the hill - & all ropes should include total weight

bottom line my current half rope is 2977 62m, this one (unwrapped etc) 2818 (both weighed just now on my home scales) it's not the saving i was looking for when i bought it and im disappointed, I would have bought it if i thought i was putting 2.8kg in my rucsac.

I think this is a fair point to raise with potential purchasers (of all rope not just roca)
 Ramon Marin 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Potter:

I'm all confused about the weight conversation going, I have a Roca Siurana and is spot on weight. It's an amazing rope, beats all the Beals, Mammuts, Sterlings and Edelweiss I had. Beats Tendon too (I owned them all). The only contender for dexterity and durability is Edelrid. I still have to try the Petzl's and DMM ropes, but they are likely to be manufactured by one of the big boys like Lanex (Tendon) or Beal. I fully recommend Roca for sure
 IainWhitehouse 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Alpjay and Lithos:

The stated weights very rarely bear any relationship to the real weight of the bought rope. When I measured them for a review in Climber a few years ago the weihgts differed by -1% to +20%. There are lots of reasons for this:
Ropes are always cut longer than stated (5% by most manufacturers) because it is notoriously difficult to measure a stretchy thing accurately.
The "metre" that is weighed is in fact a metre cut from a rope being stretched by a 10kg weight (so typically 97cm or so at a guess).
The ropes are dried for several days before being tested measured and weighed. In real life the nylon will be holding a variable amount of moisture. This makes the result much more reproducable but an utter pile of bollo*ks for the consumer choosing a rope.

I put it to a member of the UIAA standards committee at the time that the testing wasn't really appropriate but there was no appetite at all for improving them.

Many of the other stats on ropes are less than ideal but I think the weight takes the biscuit for miss-leading consumers. Well done Alpkit for taking the step of publishing the "packed weight" of the product -it was one of the options I proposed that was pooh-pooed.

Iain
 lithos 26 Feb 2015
In reply to IainWhitehouse:

interesting as the rope lost weight over a week in warm my office and has stabilised as 2740g for 60m.
I measured it again not under tension along the floor without any bends at 60.2m

the packed weight includes plastic bag and tags (v light) and marketing/safety literature - (heavy ! )
on my scales 109g

>Many of the other stats on ropes are less than ideal but I think the weight takes the biscuit for miss-leading consumers.

indeed to my mind not as advertised.
 Timmd 26 Feb 2015
In reply to lithos:

I guess the best one can hope for is that the lighter weight ropes (as advertised) will still be lighter than the heavier ropes (as advertised), even if most ropes are heavier than their advertised weights.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...