Resizing outdoor wear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RJML 01 Dec 2021

Hi All

Does anybody have any recommendations for companies that will resize outdoor wear? Particularly insulated and waterproof jackets? 

I have just purchased a new insulated jacket in the blind hope that it might fit me - unfortunately it didn’t.

I could just send it back and try a different product but after looking at the size charts for a few different jackets I suspect I will just have the same issue.

I have quite a small build and I guess the long and short of it is (pun very much intended) that I just don’t fit the typical clothing patterns which manufacturers use.

Sleeve length seems to be my biggest issue as jacket sleeves on a size small often sail a couple of inches past my wrists. 

I’m based in Rossendale, Lancashire but work in Manchester so recommendations for somewhere local would be great but not essential.

Thanks in advance!

nniff 01 Dec 2021
In reply to RJML:

I take that as a plus!  I've just ordered a new jacket that can be altered and they're adding two inches to the sleeves so that they reach my knuckles.  Nothing worse than bending or raising an arm and for a gap to appear between wrist and glove.  Ditto belay jackets - for those long periods when the rope doesn't move, the rope should disappear into the sleeve to where the hand is, and then back out again.

However, you might try www.scottishmountaingear.com/repair-service who have done a fine job for me in the past, replacing failed zips

OP RJML 30 Dec 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

Thanks for that! They would have been perfect as they are so close to home.

I dropped them a message but unfortunately they don’t seem to alter down/synthetically insulated jackets… only repair.

Will keep them in mind for any future repairs though.

gethin_allen 30 Dec 2021
In reply to RJML:

Reducing the length of a sleeve should be a very easy job for a seamstress. I had a seamstress at a big standard dry cleaners that offered repairs sort out a zip on a primaloft jacket very cheaply.

Maybe head down to your local market and find someone. As long as you explain clearly what you want it shouldn't be too difficult.

David Coley 03 Jan 2022
In reply to RJML:

Who made the jacket?

RAB have helped me in the past

OP RJML 03 Jan 2022
In reply to David Coley:

Thanks David.

It is a Rab jacket actually … just about getting around to returning it after the Christmas rush.

I did have a look on Rab’s website as I know they offer repairs etc but couldn’t see anything about alterations…

I suppose I could always drop them a message and see what they say!

Jenny C 03 Jan 2022
In reply to RJML:

When Rab moved production to China they retained many of the skilled UK workforce. No idea how many of them are still there, but they certainly did have the skills to do a lot more than just repairs.

Bog ninja 04 Jan 2022
In reply to RJML:

Hi ya, Alpkit do custom alterations and repairs in their stores. You can post them the jacket or drop it off in the shop. The have shops in Hathersage, Illkley, Keswick and in Ambelside

MischaHY 04 Jan 2022
In reply to RJML:

Based on what you've mentioned you'd be better served with Patagonia than Rab. They have a more roomy fit on the chest/waist meaning you could go down to an XS and still have enough space whilst getting the shorter arm length you're looking for. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...