Replacing crash pad foam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lsdrussell 19 Jan 2021

I've realised it would be much cheaper to replace the degraded foam than to get a new crash pad but I'm struggling to figure out if I should replace the hard or the soft layer.

On my organic pad, the whole thing feels very soft when I land on it, like it's not dispersing the weight properly anymore. But the actual hard foam by itself feels just as solid as on my better pad - though maybe that's just because that a test by hand that isn't nearly as high a pressure as bodyweight. Could it be a case of the softer foam degrading causing this?

And on my moon pad, there's a big dead spot in the middle but the rest of it feels fine - I imagine it's mostly the softer foam degrading that's causing this issue again. 

But I'm really not sure about any of this, anybody have some experience to help here?

jack89 19 Jan 2021
In reply to lsdrussell:

I don't know, but perhaps useful is that Alpkit were able to source a piece of foam to replace a damaged layer in one of my pads. I only went to their Repair Station for some sewing on it but came back with new foam (at cost)! You could start with one layer and work it out from there?

dread-i 19 Jan 2021
In reply to lsdrussell:

What I did on my pad was to stick a big piece of foam, from a winter sleeping mat, inside. This spread the load over a larger area and firmed up landings.

andy jennings 20 Jan 2021
In reply to lsdrussell:

My ancient Alpkit pad had gone very squishy. I replaced only the open cell (soft) foam, leaving the original closed cell (hard) foam as it was. The results were great, like a new pad but for a fraction of the price. 

I got the new foam delivered from Alpkit. Was really impressed with their service. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...