Replacing a Trango 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 greg_may_ 29 Aug 2019

My Trango 2 has finally died. No matter how much I've tried to reproof it it is a sieve. Bathtub is totally porous now. I've had it since 2001 and we've had a lot of good trips together - even when it was eaten by a marmot.

Other than replacing it with a new Trango 2 - any other suggestions?

Similar size internally, able to handle winter and summer trips, simple to pitch in a howling gale...

Not going to chuck out the old one yet, not sure that I can!

joe.91 29 Aug 2019
In reply to greg_may_:

I used to have one and if I were to replace it it would be a Quasar. 

OP greg_may_ 29 Aug 2019
In reply to joe.91:

For what reasons? 

Quasar is something I've considered. 

In reply to greg_may_:

My old Ultra Quasar is in a similar state as your Trango. Although I have loved my tent to bits I’m not sure I’d buy the new generation as they appear to be less sturdy. Recently, I have used Trangos in Greenland and they are tough. I particularly like the hooks that enables you to pitch the tent in a storm. For winter expeditions for two persons I’d choose Trango 3. 

joe.91 30 Aug 2019
In reply to greg_may_:

Lighter, easier to put up and much better guide lines (pulls from the centre not from the poles, means the outer won't touch the inner if placed well). 

Available in green for stealth and red for not so stealth!

Guy Hurst 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

I don't know what the customer/after sales service offered by MH is like, but I've found that from TN to be very poor. Anything that goes wrong with one of their tents always seems to be the user's fault, in their view.

OP greg_may_ 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Guy Hurst:

Hard to say with MH - i've literally never had any issues with the tent up to now, or any other MH kit I've had over the years.

However, my very old Laser Comp, I had issues when poles snapped - more stock issues that any direct blame on my part...as it was my fault.

Anyone own one of the Alpkit Kangri tents? 

rj_townsend 30 Aug 2019
In reply to greg_may_:

A few years ago I was in exactly the same position, and ended up replacing the MH Trango with a Wild Country Trisar 2D. It's the same shape as the Quasar or Trango (but without the fifth pole for the porch), but slightly higher. The weight is pretty good and I've not had any worries with its strength even in recent storms. For the price (I think I got mine for £212), it's been fantastic.

The other one I looked at was the Alpkit Kangri(?) which is Quasar-esque. I was very tempted but decided to take the lower-cost option.

d508934 30 Aug 2019
In reply to joe.91:

How do you mean the guys lines on a quasar pull from the middle? Is that better somehow? I’ve always rated Trangos as stronger than quasars with the high number of guy lines on a Trango a big factor in that - 7 on each side rather than three. Plus there are more pole intersections which supposedly adds to strength (7 vs 5, more if you count the extra 2 from porch pole), oh and internal guy line options also. Biggest factor that sold Trango to me over quasar when using in more normal conditions and strength isn’t biggest issue is the pole clips rather than sleeves, easier to erect (gigudee) and take down. Bit heavier granted. 

In terms of MH customer service - the first Trango I got failed completely, rain just gushed through flysneet and floor - whilst exactly the same happened to my friend next pitch over who had bought same tent from same shop at same time. Both sent back, apparently a production run failure and both replaced immediately with no questions asked with a newer model. Was a wet night but couldn’t have been better/quicker customer service afterwards. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...