Replacement for Arcteryx Psiphon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ScraggyGoat 05 Jan 2022

So collective UKC, looking for a replacement Arcteryx Psiphon?

Which I used as a windproof over base layers on walk ins, as a highly breathable soft shell over a double pile fleece to keep spindrift and light precipitation off when climbing and walking on the tops in Scottish winter (note that the hood took a helmet) but light enough you could throw a goretex over it too, or in summer when you forgot your sun cream you could suffer a bit as a sun proof, or wear as a multi pitch rock windproof (happy to suffer a bit of baggyness so that it could be used with more insulation in winter). wide cuffs with Velcro were appreciated to allow gloves to fit under.

VictorM 06 Jan 2022
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Mountain Equipment Squall hoodie is what you describe, I've been very happy with it. Used mine in the Austrian alps last summer through a whole range of conditions, valley to summit, without pretty much ever taking it off. 

Edit: it has a bit of a tight fit so for bagginess I would go up one size from my 'normal' outdoor wear size. For reference: I'm 178cm and 70kg and wear size small for most northern European/American brands and medium for most southern European brands. 

Post edited at 08:17
 echo34 06 Jan 2022
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

The new Gamma SL Jacket/pull ons are the replacement to the Psiphon (going back to the original name whichPsiphon replaced)

TobyA 06 Jan 2022
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

I've reviewed two similar sounding windproofs for UKC, a Montane one and a BD one. Both are great, the Montane Lite Speed is my favourite mainly just because it's a bit lighter but it did have a faulty popper on it which I've never got round to having replaced. But the BD one is really good to, just about 70 grams heavier.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/softshell/montane_lite-speed_jacke...

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/softshell/black_diamond_alpine_sta...

OP ScraggyGoat 06 Jan 2022
In reply to TobyA:

Both appear to have tight elasticated cuffs ?

VictorM 06 Jan 2022
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

The Squall has a combination of elasticated and velcroed cuffs big enough to accomodate a somewhat big glove. Not your biggest winter glove but at least a midweight leather alpine insulated working glove such as a Hestra Ergo Grip Incline (that's what I have). 

Another good, slightly more (mild) winter oriented softshell would be the Rab Torque. Its fit it slightly roomier to accommodate layering and its cuffs are bigger. Comes at a weight penalty though. 

OP ScraggyGoat 06 Jan 2022
In reply to VictorM:

Thanks, not touching Rab had far too much of their kit come apart at the seams over the years, and encountered poor customer service on other faults.

Post edited at 15:14
 TobyA 06 Jan 2022
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Elasticated but not particularly tight, although most of the gloves I use I guess are over cuffs more than under.

Dave the Rave 06 Jan 2022
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Paramo Fuera Smock. Good hood and decent Velcro cuffs. I use it either over a marmot driclime or if it’s really cold, helly double pile fleece( 35 years old and a helly base. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...