Removing mould from a rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockwing 13 Jan 2020

I have an Osprey rucksack I haven't used for a while which has acquired some mould where my ceiling has leaked onto it.

Best suggestions for cleaning it out? I'm dubiosd about putting it in the washing machine with all those straps flying around.

wbo2 13 Jan 2020
In reply to rockwing:I'd tie the straps together or similar then put it in the washing machine.  Most of my sacks have been thro' at some point

LastBoyScout 13 Jan 2020
In reply to rockwing:

Like wbo2 said, tie the straps together. However, I've had issues with logos and other bonded things coming apart in the washing machine.

Try spot washing with something specifically for mould and just rinsing it in the sink.

In reply to rockwing:

> I have an Osprey rucksack I haven't used for a while which has acquired some mould where my ceiling has leaked onto it.

> Best suggestions for cleaning it out? I'm dubiosd about putting it in the washing machine with all those straps flying around.

Washed mine on hot in the washing machine to remove mould.

Like new for saying its a 18 year old rucksack.

:-D

Jon Greengrass 13 Jan 2020
In reply to rockwing:

Washing machine will be fine, put it  inside a pillow case or even better one of those zip up mesh wash bags if you are worried about the straps getting tangled in the drum-door seal. You will need to reproof the sack afterwards if you want it to still be waterproof.

Toerag 13 Jan 2020
In reply to rockwing:

Mould generally goes away if you give the article a wipe down and use it / move it regularly, it really doesn't like being disturbed. Washing does help to remove whatever it's feeding on though. When we bought our house it had been left empty for a month in the autumn and grey mould had started growing all over the place (even on the varnished bannister handrail!) and it was noticeable that it was loads worse on areas people had touched - kitchen cupboard edges etc. Textile / leather things are still prone to going mouldy if left in the understairs cupboard, but everything else is fine now.

marsbar 13 Jan 2020
In reply to rockwing:

I'd use nikwax or whatever and the hottest water you can stand with washing up gloves on and give it a soak in the sink or bath.  Use a stiff brush to get rid of the mould as much as possible.  White vinegar then to kill off the rest and rinse after its had a soak in that then reproof.

If that doesn't work then I'd try the washing machine in a mesh bag as above.  

Oh and if possible at this time of year some sunshine will do it good as well.  

Post edited at 17:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...