recycling old climbing shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ibexguiding 15 Dec 2018

I work for a climbing wall and we have some old rock shoes that we are going to throw away, but it feels like a waste just binning them. We don't re-sole shoes because they get such a beating that its more cost effective for us to buy new ones.

So does anyone know of some where that would recycle old and damaged rock shoes?    

Martin Bennett 15 Dec 2018
In reply to ibexguiding:

University clubs sometimes ask on here can anyone donate old shoes.

HeMa 15 Dec 2018
In reply to ibexguiding:

I’ve given mine to schools, boy scouts and uni climbing clubs. 

petegunn 15 Dec 2018
In reply to ibexguiding:

I've seen a few people make home made knee pads out of old shoes.

Actual knee pads for kneeling and knee pads for climbing.

Would have thought they could be recycled somehow. 

Pedro50 15 Dec 2018
In reply to ibexguiding:

I sent 6 pairs to a school at their request. I assume they arrived I never heard. 

Iain(2010) 17 Dec 2018
In reply to ibexguiding:

Hi,

I've just started delivering climbing sessions to a local secondary school (for free) on their indoor wall but the kids are limited by wearing trainers. If your shoes have life in them I am sure the school would be most appreciative if you were to donate them. I know they  currently have zero budget so wouldn't be able to buy them.

If the shoes are beyond their useful life then this probably wouldn't work.

In reply to Iain(2010):

> Hi,

> I've just started delivering climbing sessions to a local secondary school (for free) on their indoor wall but the kids are limited by wearing trainers. If your shoes have life in them I am sure the school would be most appreciative if you were to donate them. I know they  currently have zero budget so wouldn't be able to buy them.

> If the shoes are beyond their useful life then this probably wouldn't work.

They'd have to be very bad to not be better than trainers.

krikoman 18 Dec 2018
In reply to ibexguiding:

Where are you based?

Trangia 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Martin Bennett:

> University clubs sometimes ask on here can anyone donate old shoes.

Plus 1 also local climbing clubs, schools, scout and similar groups. Have you put them in your reception area offering them free to punters?

Removed User 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Trangia:

''Have you put them in your reception area offering them free to punters?''

wouldn't have thought that would be a great idea,  not if the wall ever wants to rent out a pair of shoes in the next 6 months !

Best to email Scouts, Guides, Uni's etc - just not local ones...… seems a bit mean but giving free shoes away when your trying to get cash back on a new 'fleet' of renters seems silly......

hazeysunshine 18 Dec 2018
In reply to ibexguiding:

Last year there was a request on here for old shoes for use in Sierra Leone. Don't know if they are still in need?

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/premier_posts/sierra_leone_needs_your_old...

Iain(2010) 18 Dec 2018
In reply to ibexguiding:

The school I am helping out is based in Harrogate, are you anywhere near there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...