re-proofing a tired tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tingle 17 Apr 2017
I have a 10 - 15 year old wild country tunnel tent that for the last few trips has been leaking. I have washed it once with nikwax re-proofer and have sprayed with solar proof several times, yet when it rains the fabric wrinkles up creating pools which then soak through to the inner. Is there anything more i can do or is it best to keep it as a fair weather tent?
 John Kelly 17 Apr 2017
In reply to tingle:
You need a new tent
fair weather tent, you live Arizona?
Post edited at 21:43
OP tingle 17 Apr 2017
In reply to John Kelly:

Thats a shame, old school wild country build quality has kept the tent itself in good nick!
 John Kelly 17 Apr 2017
In reply to tingle:

I don't think you can easily get them back to a sufficiently good level of waterproofing, it's quite expensive and time consuming, the underlying tent, although wild country and well looked after, will have degraded.
Probably get new one for less 200 quid
 pec 17 Apr 2017
In reply to tingle:

My 20+ year old Quasar started leaking for the first time last year. I sealed the seams with clear bathroom silicone "just in case" (some of the seam tape looked like it might be coming away, though it wasn't obviously the source of the leakage) and sprayed it all with Fabsil
https://grangers.co.uk/products/fabsil-aerosol
I've only used it once since but it did absolutely pour down and the tent remained dry inside so perhaps worth a try before buying a new tent?
OP tingle 18 Apr 2017
In reply to pec:

ill give it a try thanks
 minty1984 18 Apr 2017
In reply to tingle:
I have used a product called Fabsil gold by grangers. It comes in a 5 ltr metal tin and you paint it onto the outside of the tent with a paint brush while the tent is erected. Leave to dry for 8 hours and should be water proof after that? The stuff you apply with a brush is far better than the spray can products.

I have used it on my fishing bivvies and shelters and also many coats and it has been brilliant. They also make seam sealant which is a bit like silicone. This is applied over all stitched seams and left to dry. It does not look very nice but is very effective

I kept the same fishing bivvy water tight for 10 years with this product. The only downside is the treatment removes any breathability from the fabric so on single skin tents you will get condensation
Post edited at 10:19

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...