Quickdraw slings

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SteveJC94 11 Jan 2023

Over the Christmas holidays, while having a clear out in my parents loft, we came across some old Faders quickdraws which I had aged 16 (12 years ago). 

Obviously the slings are well past their best but the carabiners look to be in very good condition and it seems a shame to throw them away. Unfortunately Faders have long since closed shop so does anyone have any recommendations on which brand/model of quickdraw slings (sport-style) might fit best as a replacement? 

gravy 11 Jan 2023
In reply to SteveJC94:

I suspect if they've been stored nicely they are fine as they are but new slings are readily and cheaply available if you have doubt.

Your main choice would be what style you want: long (mixed lengths) & skinny for trad or short & fat for sport. So long as they are sewn dogbones, not open slings, it's all much of a muchness. My next criteria would be price and colour!

The carabiners will be just fine.

Post edited at 17:32
 AlanLittle 11 Jan 2023
In reply to SteveJC94:

For sport climbing Petzl Spirit tapes are lovely fat ergonomic nylon grab & pull handles. For trad any light & skinny dyneema.

deacondeacon 11 Jan 2023
In reply to SteveJC94:

Personally I'd still use them but any will fit. Get fat ones for dogging around on sport routes or skinny ones for trad (don't be tempted to save a few quid by getting short ones).

Edit: apologies for the size advice. Looks like you know what you're doing 🙂

Post edited at 19:03
 CantClimbTom 12 Jan 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

The fat Petzl quickdraw slings and their DMM equivalent (nylon vari width) seem too similar to argue between.

Depends what's in stock or the costs at OPs local climbing shop. Failing that the usual online suspects like Dick's Climbing or Banana Fingers.

AlanLittle 12 Jan 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

DMM are a similar shape/thickness but noticeably softer - but then we're getting down to tiny differences that don't really matter / personal preference.

Jon Read 12 Jan 2023
In reply to SteveJC94:

You'll likely find that the trad draws with the integrated rubber sheath (e.g. DMM) will NOT fit on these krabs; it simply won't stretch around the corners of the krab. 

Ciro 12 Jan 2023
In reply to SteveJC94:

Depends a lot on what sort of sport routes you're climbing, but slightly contrary to the advice above I'd tend to go long and fat for sport draws.

I have the 25cm version of the express on all mine now:

https://www.bananafingers.co.uk/quickdraw-slings/petzl/express-quickdraw-sl...

Not necessary in Portland for example, but if you're doing long steep euro sport they can significantly cut down rope drag / faffing with extending.

Fraser 12 Jan 2023
In reply to SteveJC94:

Bones-wise, I'd go for 60% x 180mm 'fat anything', 20% x 120mm fat anything, 20% x 250mm fat anything.

I'd also equally happily climb on the ones you've shown.

OP SteveJC94 12 Jan 2023
In reply to SteveJC94:

Thanks for the suggestions folks. They'll just be used for working sport routes so the Petzl spirit's look to be a winner. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...