UKH

NEW REVIEW: PRIMUS EtaExpress™ by Chris Dainton

New Topic
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 10 Aug 2008
I am going to come right out and say that this is a great compact lightweight auto ignition stove and pot system that is solidly built. It does the job well and it does it fast. " writes Chris Dainton.

Read more: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1185

Have you experience of the PRIMUS EtaExpress or similar Lightweight Compact Stoves like the MSR Reactor and Jetboil.

Feel free to add your opinion/experiences to this topic.
In reply to UKC Gear:

Sounds and looks good.

Any chance of making a video clip of you unpacking it, setting it up and boiling some water for a brew or similar?

Its probably just me but i think all reviews should have videos of the goods putting out.

Cheers,

 lithos 11 Aug 2008
In reply to UKC Gear:

Chris,

you say its repaced you Jetboil - why ?
specs seem about the same
why is it better than that system ?
 Arjen 11 Aug 2008
In reply to sneaks:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Sounds and looks good.
>
> Any chance of making a video clip of you unpacking it, setting it up and boiling some water for a brew or similar?
>
> Its probably just me but i think all reviews should have videos of the goods putting out.
>
> Cheers,

Oh please, I hate video reviews! Not all people have all the time of the world, and I can read a hell of a lot faster than someone can speak.
As addition is *could* be ok, but still prefer written text. I know its the trend for electronic gadgets, but it costs so much time to go through...

ontopic - I find ~500g quite a lot of a stove. If I go on a two day trip I'd never use more than one canister of gas between two people, and surely a small pot plus a light weight burner would be lighter - or am I mistaken?
 winhill 11 Aug 2008
In reply to UKC Gear:
> I am going to come right out and say that this is a great compact lightweight auto ignition stove and pot system that is solidly built. It does the job well and it does it fast. " writes Chris Dainton.
>
> Read more: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1185
>
> Have you experience of the PRIMUS EtaExpress or similar Lightweight Compact Stoves like the MSR Reactor and Jetboil.
>
> Feel free to add your opinion/experiences to this topic.

When these newer 'system' stoves are 2-2.5 times heavier than established lightweight cooksets, in what sense do you feel it is useful to call them lightweight?

Isn't it just regurgitating the manufacturers' misleading advertising rather than adding something meaningful?
 lithos 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Arjen:

pocket rocket is about 80g titanium mug/pot is about 120g
so total of 200 as opposed to 400-500

but no windshield, less efficient etc 'pays ya money ...."
 ChrisJD 11 Aug 2008
In reply to lithos:

> you say its repaced you Jetboil - why ?
> specs seem about the same
> why is it better than that system ?

• Non stick pot and lid
• All metal construction (minimal plastic on the burner)
• The pot and lid have an attractive stoutness
• Cool piezo auto-ignition
• Effective handles
• Lid ideal for frying an egg
• Can use with other pans (without windshield): this makes it ideal as second stove system when car camping (see cons).

 lithos 11 Aug 2008
In reply to ChrisJD:

ta, i read that as general pros not a comparison. I dont have either
but as you said you had both its nice to see a side by side comparisons of these types of stoves, esp at 60 odd quid.
 Arjen 11 Aug 2008
In reply to lithos:
> (In reply to Arjen)
>
> pocket rocket is about 80g titanium mug/pot is about 120g
> so total of 200 as opposed to 400-500
>
> but no windshield, less efficient etc 'pays ya money ...."

Cheers, couldn't be bothered to look it up. Less efficiency will only kick in when you take more than just a few gas cylinders with you, don't know how much a standard gas cylinder weighs, and how much of that weight is actual gas - but I reckon that you have to look at least a week of camping before the weight is cancelled out.

As for the windshield, I found that a foam mattress works extremely well too - and I can sleep on it too...

 lithos 11 Aug 2008
In reply to Arjen:

my 125gs weigh about 100g with gas so 225 inc gas (approx)

in really cold + windy weather i reckon they'd come into
their own more quickly, especially if you can keep the bugger alight.


dont melt your mat
In reply to sneaks:

> Its probably just me but i think all reviews should have videos of the goods putting out.

You like the video of me playing with my nuts then did you?!

Damn it - now I'm going to have to try and find a video for all future reviews!

New Topic
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...