Prescription sunglasses?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Graeme G 19 Jul 2021

Not sure if this qualifies as ‘gear’?

I’m thinking of getting a 3rd pair of glasses dedicated to outdoor sun, probably Category 3. As I wear varifocals they won’t be cheap. 

Does anyone have any experience of buying and using proper, dark prescription sunglasses? I currently use my normal pair, and a pair of Cat 2 sunglasses (buy 1 get 1 free deal). The sunglasses are ideal for driving but have almost no effect in bright sunshine outdoors.

Post edited at 16:09
 Doug 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I have a pair of Cat 4 prescription sunglasses which I got from an opticians in Inverness but they are not varifocals as I bought them several years ago before I needed varifocals. After some problems with my eyesight earlier this year I'm needing to wear sunglasses more often than before & am wondering if I should get a varifocal pair or not so I'm hoping you'll get some useful replies. Meanwhile I'm getting by with a pair of clip-on sunglasses which although not great were very cheap (€10 from Decathlon)

OP Graeme G 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Doug:

I had thought of clip ons, but that would just make me look like my dad from the 70’s. Not sure I can cope with the humiliation.

Encalomer 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I use a pair of Oakley sunglasses with prescription. They are photocromatic, cat. 1-3, and I am very satisfied with them. I used them for climbing, mountaineering and mountain biking. I do not recommend them for glaciers (I need cat 4 for this type of activities).

Good luck!

alasdair19 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Encalomer:

I have a pair of single vision julbo variable (photo reactive) cat 4s. They're very good and were expensive. I shudder to think what vari vocal versions would cost...

Basemetal 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I've just had a pair of RayBan frames reglazed with my prescription - I chose to go just for the distance lens as I normally wear varifocals but  figured single vision would do for dark sunglasses as I can't usually read in them. I got Cat3 single vision for about £34 from these people... varies would have been about £90 or so.

https://lensology.co.uk

Used to be called "ReGlazeMy glasses. About a ten day turnaround.

OP Graeme G 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

Ta. That’s significantly cheaper than the £400 I was anticipating paying with RXSports. I’ll def have a look.

Jon Stewart 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I wouldn't buy varifocals online personally, since they need to be measured on your face.

HB1 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I don't know about categories, but I wear varifocals and have clip-on sun lenses which fit almost exactly over my specs. It would depend on what size specs you have of course. Mine came from Boots at c£20 and do a VERY GOOD job - not naff at all 

OP Graeme G 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

That was one big concern. I’ll speak to my optician and get their thoughts.

OP Graeme G 19 Jul 2021
In reply to HB1:

Ta. As much as I’m not that image conscious, I don’t want to look like an extra from The Two Ronnies.

rogerwebb 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

As a way around the varifocals issue my optician got me bifocal sunglasses but the close focus bit is only 5mm deep and it only occupies the middle two quarters at the bottom of the frame which lets me see my feet when climbing. The small bit of close focus is sufficient to read with once you are used to it. I am not sure I would want to read a novel using them but entirely adequate for reading a map or guidebook. 

OP Graeme G 19 Jul 2021
In reply to rogerwebb:

That’s helpful, thanks. Before the pandemic I was trying contacts, but I just couldn’t get any that worked for my prescription.

kevin stephens 20 Jul 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I have prescription varifocal Oakleys from RX Sport, not cheap but they are brilliant, I went for Cat 3 polarised.  After a few year's abuse climbing sea kayaking cycling and skiing RX replaced the lenses based on my updated prescription

Andy Gamisou 20 Jul 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

My tip would be not to clumsily knock them off your head 20m up a route, as I did yesterday....

OP Graeme G 20 Jul 2021
In reply to kevin stephens:

Did you have any issues adjusting to the Oakleys? I really fancy a pair but as someone said above I am wary of ordering varifocals online.

Maybe each person’s experience depends on their prescription…..

OP Graeme G 20 Jul 2021
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

Choice between looking good reaching for a hold, or blindly slapping about unable to see what’s in front of you. 

I bloody hate having to wear specs 😡

Paul Evans 20 Jul 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I have prescription single focus Serengetis. Bought for driving, but also do duty as general sunglasses. They weren't cheap, but they are brilliant. Bought online which is OK for simple prescription, can't advise on varifocals. 

Paul

kevin stephens 20 Jul 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

RX sport have a good process.  As well as sending them my latest prescription they sent me a dummy frame with instructions to photograph myself wearing them.  This enabled them to see exactly where my pupils are positioned in the frame.  I find no difference between the Oakleys and my regular prescription glasses

OP Graeme G 20 Jul 2021
In reply to kevin stephens:

Thanks. Might just press ahead with the additional expense.

Andy Gamisou 20 Jul 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

> Choice between looking good reaching for a hold, or blindly slapping about unable to see what’s in front of you. 

> I bloody hate having to wear specs 😡

Mine are prescription too.  Still managed the crux on the 7a despite not really being able to see

Only other time it happened was me knocking my specs off mid crux on a trad route.  Not sure if it made it easier or harder.

Jon Greengrass 20 Jul 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I have polarised lenses fitted in my prescription sunglasses they are fantastic, the polarising cuts down so much more glare than tinted lenses they just don't need to be as darkly tinted.

Even with lens thinning for my -10 prescription they still cost less than £400. But thats probable due to having to use standard frames because my prescription is too strong to be put in a curved/wrap-around frame.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...