Powerstretch - Base or mid-layer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GridNorth 19 Dec 2012
How do you use yours? I have always used my Rab Powerstretch tops over a thin synthetic base layer and a softshell Arecteryx Hoody to finish off but I have recently wondered how it might perform on it's own. It is marketed as a base/mid-layer but a few personal experiences would be handy.
 Neil Pratt 19 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth:

I've used a powerstretch top as a thick base layer with a wind shell over the top in cold clear windy conditions (with a mid-weight insulated jacket for stops) on hillwalks in Scotland.

Works well for me if I'm moving at a moderate pace throughout the day.
 CENSORED 19 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth: I've worn it next to skin as a baselayer for kayaking, works very well.
RockShock 19 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth:

I'd say it depends mostly on the type of garment. I wouldn't wear a full length zipper top as a base layer, but if the zipper is only for the neck part, then I guess that would be possible.

Having said that, when powerstretch is in use, I always have a thin polyester base layer beneath.

That's my 2 cents
RS
OP GridNorth 19 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth: Worth adding that I'm thinking in the context of alpine ice climbing as opposed to walking.
 TobyA 19 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth: Why don't you just give it a go and see what happens? I suspect that it's unlikely to be the one factor that leads you to getting hypothermia either way.

FWIW, I normally wear a merino t-shirt under any powerstretch top, or pants under my PS salopettes. That way the mid-layer doesn't pong at the end of the day, but if you don't mind chucking it in the laundry after a day, I'm sure you'll find it very comfy.
In reply to GridNorth:

I don't find PowerStretch very good at wicking, as a base layer. So, if you sweat a lot, you can end up with a cold, wet feeling, especially down the back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...