Polishing Old Ice Screw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frazer 20 Jan 2020

Hi folks,

I recently found an old BD turbo express ice screw on the hill. It's been out a while and all the normaly shiny shaft and thread surfaces have oxidised and turned black.

Any thoughts on bringing it back to life? I'm thinking steel wool... Or would running it through one of them fancy girvel machines do anything?

Any advice welcome

Cheers

tonyg9241 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Frazer:

you could try shot or sand blasting failing that try this from Halfords ://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/728550?w=637&h=403 

Basemetal 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Frazer:

If it's smooth and just discoloured I'd leave as is. A stable patina won't do any harm or get any worse (in the absence of salt). If it's rough and rusty it would be worth smoothing though.

Captain Solo 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

> If it's smooth and just discoloured I'd leave as is.

Second this, it isn't crucial if the thread on the shaft is discoloured or even rounded, a bit of wire wool will work on any rust. The important thing is the points at the end are sharp by using a small file on the 3 faces that make up each point.

gravy 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Captain Solo:

Aren't these screws stainless steel? in which case use stainless wire wool otherwise the contamination of the non stainless metal from the wool may cause the screw to rust...

Smythson 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Frazer:

Don't use wire wool, it will open up the surface to greater corrosion. Without being a bore stainless steel doesn't make it wholly impervious to the elements. 

If you'd like a cosmetic touch up then a bit of Autosol or similar polish would be a good place to start. 

Captain Solo 23 Jan 2020
In reply to gravy:

Sometimes the coating is compromised in small areas (blistering?) leading to localised rust, agree that using wire wool on these areas is a cosmetic stop gap measure.

druridge 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Frazer:

Is this a legit activity, or pervy in a Benny Hill sort of way?

OP Frazer 25 Jan 2020
In reply to Frazer:

Thanks for all your replies.

It's definitely not that rough but enough so ice won't clear in the usual way. A friend has suggested caustic soda. Thoughts on that? but maybe just running over it with a dremel and polishing compound and making sure it's oiled as the surface is obviously already corroded (rough).

thanks again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...