Point five sleeping bag. - Bag for life

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robert-hutton 09 Mar 2020

Just refilled my  70's point five sleeping bag with down from a couple of duvets, should now last me another 50 years, might put it in my will as it looks like it's as good as new.

Sean Kelly 09 Mar 2020
In reply to robert-hutton:

I bought my ME Redline bag from Brian Cropper, formerly of this parish and M/chester YHA in 1973, and apart from a few cleans in the washing machine it is still good for another 10 years at least.

I resurrected my Point Five Freney duvet (circa 1975) last year, it’s still in great condition. Interestingly it is a medium and still fits me, my more modern Rab duvet is similar in fit and is an extra large!?

Chris

Doug 09 Mar 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I have a ME Snowline bought in 1976 (with the help of my student grant) which is still my winter bag, although it was washed professionally & the down 'topped up'  a few years ago. Also have a ME Annapurna duvet jacket which is slightly older & still going strong.

Basemetal 09 Mar 2020

I've a couple of 4 season down bags from thenabouts... A '77 ME and an '86 Salewa one. Along with an '81 Point Five Freney Goretex down jacket.

One thing I notice is that the outers were thicker, heavier and bulkier than anything around today. Longevity comes at a weight & bulk penalty it seems. I wasn't aware of it until I packed my old bag instead of a recent PHD one and had difficulty accommodating it. Rucksacks were bigger then too .

Progress, I suppose...

OP robert-hutton 09 Mar 2020
In reply to Doug:

> I have a ME Snowline bought in 1976 (with the help of my student grant) which is still my winter bag, although it was washed professionally & the down 'topped up'  a few years ago. Also have a ME Annapurna duvet jacket which is slightly older & still going strong.

Also got a ME Annapurna still going strong apart from me losing the hood, if any one got a blue one I will purchase.

Post edited at 20:38
 lithos 09 Mar 2020

I have one (hood that is) practically unused - email me via forum....

OP robert-hutton 10 Mar 2020
In reply to lithos:

> I have one (hood that is) practically unused - email me via forum....

Message sent

Timmd 10 Mar 2020

My Dad cleaned his Point 5 sleeping bag recently and dried it in the sun, and was chuffed at how it turned out. 

Basemetal 10 Mar 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> My Dad cleaned his Point 5 sleeping bag recently and dried it in the sun, and was chuffed at how it turned out. 

Cleaner?

Timmd 10 Mar 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

Accurate for an educated guess. Fluffy again too.

David Myatt 10 Mar 2020

I still use my .5 Mountain. Cost £28 in 1974. Didn’t know you were meant to wash them?

My wife has a .5 Orion. Both excellent bags. My ME Snowline duvet from ‘76 is still so warm I can barely use it...

Jim Lancs 10 Mar 2020

My Point 5 Mountain bag must be from 1973/4 as well. Got it from AlpineSports in the Old Brompton Road to replace my Blacks Icelandic Special sleeping bag. The draw up hood was a feature I couldn't resist. 

I sold the Icelandic to a friend who still has it and is going strong.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...