PodSacs Black Ice vs Alpine 50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subflux 17 Nov 2012
PodSacs Black Ice vs PodSacs Alpine 50 - which is better for Scottish Winter Mountaineering & Climbing?

Cheers,

Kenny
softlad 17 Nov 2012
In reply to subflux: I'm a big Pod fan and think they're both great sacs, and both have similar features. The main functional difference is that the alpine is a rolltop, so if you tend to take the lid off that's probably the one to go for. The Alpine is also a little lighter, but they're both a bit on the heavy side these days. That said, they're both strippable (hipbelt, lid, framesheet). Neither has a great ice axe carry system for modern tools, but that's not a major deal-breaker for most folks, especially if you carry your tools down the side compression straps.

Bottom line? Flip a coin. (Or try them both on with 10kg in them and decide based on carry comfort)
In reply to subflux:

I use a black ice for Scottish winter and summer cragging. Went for that over the Alpine because of the fit ( they use different back sizing systems) and durability of the fabrics. Not had any problems with the Black Ice at all and I'd reccomend.
 kyaizawa 21 Nov 2012
In reply to subflux: If you're tall/have a long back, go for the Black Ice (available in 3 back lengths) whilst the Alpine (I own the Alpine 40) which only comes in A (short) and B (still quite short).
 TobyA 21 Nov 2012
In reply to subflux: My review of the Alpine 40 from a couple of summers back: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2843 A very solid all rounder. Haven't tried the Black Ice so sorry can't compare them, some mates have had them for donkey's years though so they seem tough at any rate.
 Rank_Bajin 22 Nov 2012
In reply to subflux:

I have owned both and currently use the Black Ice for summer and winter. I find the Black Ice more comfortable and it seems more durable too.

Both are relatively heavy but the Black Ice will last.

In addition the Alpine has a novel way of connecting the chest strap to the shoulder strap which failed on mine. Pod were super quick to send a replacement though. Great service.
In reply to subflux:
> PodSacs Black Ice vs PodSacs Alpine 50 - which is better for Scottish Winter Mountaineering & Climbing?

Speaking as someone who has just replaced a well-use Black Ice with an Alpine 50, I would say neither is ideal for single-day Scottish Winter use.

Both are at the size where the one sack will just about do everything and I think the Alpine 50 is totally superb in that regard, although very pricey. However IMO both are too large to be ideal for the majority of use I would put them to in Scotland. Unless you need the capacity for multi-day Winter expeditions there are better alternatives.

I would suggest having a much closer look at the Alpine 40 and look at saving yourself come money in the process.
 edinburgh_man 23 Nov 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Wow - I don't know anyone who has managed to wear out a Black Ice.
 Alex Ekins 23 Nov 2012
In reply to subflux:
They are both great rucksacks, I have used the Alpine 50L for the last two winters working for Jagged Globe in Scotland and its still going strong. I think the Alpine is better for climbing in than the Black Ice. I did a short review of the Alpine on my blog - http://alexekins.co.uk/pod-sac-alpine-50

Also here is vid of Ed Chard using one as his winter sack -
http://alexekins.co.uk/jagged-globe-equipment-for-scottish-winter-film/

Cheers
Alex
 Alex Ekins 23 Nov 2012
In reply to subflux:
They are both great rucksacks, I have used the Alpine 50L for the last two winters working for Jagged Globe in Scotland and its still going strong. I think the Alpine is better for climbing in than the Black Ice as it a bit narrower. I did a short review of the Alpine on my blog - http://alexekins.co.uk/pod-sac-alpine-50

Also here is vid of Ed Chard using one as his winter sack -
http://alexekins.co.uk/jagged-globe-equipment-for-scottish-winter-film/

Cheers
Alex
 AlH 23 Nov 2012
In reply to subflux: I've got an Alpine 50 which has done about 150 days in winter and 50 on overseas expeditions. I've broken almost every buckle on it twice, the fabric has a few holes in it from wear and tear and the chest strap (one of these daft rails that seem to be in fashion with some sack manufacturers) has come off and is impossible to put back on. I've replaced all of the main buckles with alpkit bouldering mat buckles (after a first replacement set from Pod who were very helpful) and the chest strap with a more conventional one (ironically enough from Pod's accessory range). A friend has had a black ice for years without any of these problems.
I find the Alpine 50 light and comfortable and it does everything I want it to do but it doesn't stand up to the abuse I give it. I'll be trying a black ice next.
In reply to rosmat:
> Wow - I don't know anyone who has managed to wear out a Black Ice.

It did take me the best part of 11 years using it as pretty much my only rucsac!

OP subflux 25 Nov 2012
In reply to all:

Wow - wasn't expecting so many responses!

Thanks all for your time in replying, really appreciate your time - will have a good mull over responses and have a try of both packs.

Best of luck with your winter objectives!

Kenny

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...