Please recommend me a tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 30 Jan 2019

Haven't bought a tent for years, so I'm out of touch as to what's around, what's good etc.

Looking for something for car camping, just me, easily erected (the tent that is), extremely weatherproof, room for a chair, maybe stand up in, maybe room for a bike. 

Last (big 4-man) tent was wrecked in 100mph winds at Glenbrittle campsite, and I'm planning going back there, so that's the benchmark.

No price limit, so what would the wise UKCers recommend?

cb294 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Fredt:

If you don't want to go down the full expedition basecamp route, my old Eureka WindTunnel TC tent survived a night on a headland in the Irish sea where a winter storm blew down my Hilleberg Keron (pegs pulled out after the field we camped on turned into liquid mud, then the poles were snapped by just below 100mph gales).

CB

Rigid Raider 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Fredt:

Why not just stick a "wanted" ad on here?  I did and the generous folk of UKC bombarded me with offers, I ended up acquiring an almost brand new (it looked unused) three-person tent for a bargain price from somebody.

Rick Graham 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Fredt:

The biggest problem in picking a tent is the huge choice on offer.

After three weeks of generally reasonable weather ( for Cham ) at les houches, I decided never to go car camping without the option of sleeping in the vehicle . The field was regularly several inches deep in water except for one single high spot which I managed to claim after a soaking.  Few tents if any can cope being in a lake.

Nowadays , all my mountain tents stay at home and I use a decathlon pop up tent, never had to retreat to the car or van.

Its really nice to be able to get the tent up and down in a few seconds, I hate the faff of threading poles.

Babika 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Fredt:

I feel your pain. My last tent was also wrecked at Glenbrittle, but as it was about 20 years old I didn't feel too emotional. 

I replaced it with a Terra Nova Terra Firma Tent, made in Derbyshire.

If price is no limit that would seem to fit the "large and indestructible" bill. I can just about stand up in it with head bent,  but then I'm a shortie

Rick Graham 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Babika:

I had a Terra Nova terra firma for about 25 years. It had a faulty fly replaced after a couple of years. The ground sheet leaked a bit towards the end and the inner zips failed.

Sewing up the inner zips and using the mesh door zips made the tent useable.

It spent the last two months of its life  in continuous use on an Alaskan glacier then in Indian creek . I told my son and his mate Ben to not bring the tent back but give it away or  put it in a refuse bin. They tried to count up the micro repairs on the fly and inner but got bored and never got to an agreed total.

Rigid Raider 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Fredt:

We took my tiny Saunders Jetpacker for a five-day walk up the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island. At the first campsite we realised that we were in trouble because you can't pitch a traditional pole and guy tent on sand!  We ended up pitching in the forest behind the beach and rather fearful of being scoffed by a grizzly.

jeremysalt 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Fredt:

I have been using Eureka WindTunnel for a quite a long time now and it has survived a great ordeal. So you can try that out too. 

Jasonic 05 Feb 2019
In reply to Fredt:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-family-41-id_8378237.html

Had a similar one to this that survived when several others broken on a breezy Slig campsite !

mp3ferret 05 Feb 2019
In reply to Fredt:

If you never need to carry it then I'd recommend one of these : 

https://www.robens.de/en-gb/shop/outdoor-tents/poled-tents/6-person-tents/k...

Its bomb proof (with the addition of some bigger pegs).  Big enough to stand up in, can take a stove, room for a chair, a bike, etc .  Its our goto tent for car camping.  And its the easiest tent I've ever put up - i can do it on my own in about 5 minutes.  And canvas is so much nicer / quieter than nylon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...