Please recommend a trail running shoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 19 Sep 2021
Thread moved from Off Belay to Gear

Evening

Keen to get a bit of running done again.

Distances will be small, 3x 3 miles a week and mainly on forest tracks or in the woods.

I’’m looking for a shoe with good cushioning, good grip on mud and with quite a wide toe box. I used to run in Walsh PB’s. Should I just get another pair? Don’t want to spend more than £80 really.

thanks

dave

abr1966 19 Sep 2021
In reply to Dave the Rave:

I've just bought some Asics Fujitrabuco 8. I bought them as everyone seems to be wearing trail shoes on the hills near me whereas I'm usually old school and in boots. They are comfy, wide across the metatarsal heads...very comfy....quite bouncy! I'm not really running in them though...but for comfort, quite impressed! 

SouthernSteve 19 Sep 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Salomon Sense Ride 4 - my favourite after the previous 3. They don't seem as narrow as some from this manufacturer, but you probably should try on. All a very personal choice!

OP Dave the Rave 19 Sep 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Cheers abr, are they grippy? 

Kalna_kaza 19 Sep 2021

No specific recommendations but sports pursuits tend to have big discounts of 50 - 80% on a regular basis so worth keeping an eye out for a bargain if something mentioned here pops up. It might open up a few options price wise as trail shoes are pretty pricey, £100+ in many cases.

dread-i 19 Sep 2021

>I’’m looking for a shoe with good cushioning, good grip on mud and with quite a wide toe box. I used to run in Walsh PB’s. Should I just get another pair?

I have some PB's. They have no cushioning, excellent grip and are narrow. You can probably get them for around £80.

I'd have a look at the trails you're running on. Well made tracks and fire roads, then go for trail shoes. Bogs, mountains, and steep stuff, then fell shoes like Walshes.

Three miles isnt a lot, so you can probably get away with most shoe types. I'd have a look on sportsshoes.com and see what they have in the sale. (You could get a pair of asics and and a pair of new balance, trail shoes, and still have enough change from your £80 to get a pint.) Pete Bland are a good independant. Inov8 cover every terrain and have a range of widths, but they seem to have gone up in price. Similar story with Salomon speedcross, though they sometimes have other discontinued lines that are cheaper.

bruxist 19 Sep 2021

I'm quite enjoying a pair of Adidas Terrex I picked up a couple of weeks ago and I'm using them for the same sort of distance & purpose. Similar overmoulded sole to the PBs, very grippy; roomy, square-ish toe-box. I got them for £80.

Forest Dump 19 Sep 2021
In reply to abr1966:

I love my Fujitrabucos and picked them up for 60ish quid at an Asics outlet store, i'll buy another at some point!

I hate shoe shopping and I'm v reluctant to buy online without trying on

mrphilipoldham 19 Sep 2021
In reply to bruxist:

I’m currently on the Agravic, but have had the Kanadia before.. they’re fantastic shoes.

Mattyk 19 Sep 2021

I would join running gear buy and sell on fb and just buy a few pairs of stuff that are cheap and your size if i was you. I recommend the inov8 trailtalon for wide toe box . i also have terrex which i like. But honestly trying second hand is the way in my opinion.

abr1966 20 Sep 2021

Yep pretty impressed....especially the grip! First time out on wet rocks and did a bit of scrambling, felt very confident with the grip!

Durbs 20 Sep 2021
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

> No specific recommendations but sports pursuits tend to have big discounts of 50 - 80% on a regular basis so worth keeping an eye out for a bargain 

Just bought my first pair of TR shoes, so by no means an expert, but got some Karrimor Trail Sense 5's for £40 - cushioned, grippy, comfy.

elliot.baker 20 Sep 2021

I’ve been wearing Brooks Cascadia for this kind of stuff for the last couple of years. Very comfy, good grip, wide, I have one waterproof for winter and one not waterproof for summer. They cost more than £80 but if you look around you might find an older version on discount. I think the newest are called 15, mine are 14 I think. So look for 13 or 14 perhaps 

edit - in the waterproof ones I went half a size up. 

Post edited at 11:16
 mbh 20 Sep 2021

+1 for the Cascadias. Have a look too at Saucony Peregrines. I've got a pair of 10s and like them. Like the Cascadias I had, my Saucony road shoes lasted very well (700+ miles, 850ish for the Cascadias), so I am hoping for similar from the Peregrines. 

Both are absolutely fine on forest tracks and in the woods.

LastBoyScout 20 Sep 2021

My wife likes her Mizuno trail shoes - comfy and good grip, but these things are always subjective.

My Adidas Kanadia ones need replacing - they were great, but the soles on 1 pair are worn out and the other pair seem to have come unglued!

wbo2 20 Sep 2021
In reply to Dave the Rave: what's the going rate for Pegasus trail.

Really, go to a shop and try a few one. Any recommendations are totally personal for this. 

bruxist 20 Sep 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks - bookmarked for next time I'm buying...

OP Dave the Rave 20 Sep 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks everyone, some good recommendations.

Thanks a lot

Dave

HB1 22 Sep 2021

It's maybe worth looking at the More Mile Cheviots. Similar build to the Walsh but cheaper - £25 including postage iirc. So far I'm finding them very comfortable for not-too-rough ground. I got them a half-size up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...