/ Pickets

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
JStearn 15 Aug 2019

What are people using if not carrying a picket for crevasse rescue anchors? Assuming you have a mountaineering axe, no skis and it won't take screws. I know Americans seem to love pickets but I rarely see people carrying them in Europe. What are the options for a lightweight picket? I know of the MSR cable and a Yates version. I wish somebody would make a short UL picket just for T slots.

cb294 15 Aug 2019
In reply to JStearn:

Usually not enough snow (and less powdery) compared to, say, the Cascades or Alaska?

That said, I do have an MSR snow stake with a DIY steel cable attached to a centre slot and one end made pointy using an angle grinder for banging in vertically, but I rarely use it, except when ski touring.

Anything shorter does not make sense as a bang it in quick snow anchor. If length is an issue, a wider deadman type snow anchor is much better.

Mark Haward 15 Aug 2019
In reply to JStearn:

An ice axe is usually used for crevasse rescue, sometimes two. 

JStearn 15 Aug 2019
In reply to Mark Haward:

I know that, I meant what are you using as a backup anchor if you are only carrying one axe?

ebdon 15 Aug 2019
In reply to JStearn:

I guess realistically you aren't going to haul someone out of a cravasse if they are unconscious/unable to get out by themselves on your own so a backup is a bit of a moot point

99ster 15 Aug 2019
In reply to ebdon:

> I guess realistically you aren't going to haul someone out of a cravasse if they are unconscious/unable to get out by themselves on your own so a backup is a bit of a moot point

Reminds me of a classic AK article:

https://andy-kirkpatrick.com/blog/view/doing-a-bieber

TobyA 15 Aug 2019
In reply to JStearn:

I like flying ones.

Ba-da da da, ba-da da da, ba-da da da...

Potentially more usefully, I bought an MSR one 25 years ago and dragged around various mountains for a few years never actually placing it before deciding it was essentially useless. Not even sure where it is anymore - must have lent it to someone and never got it back.

JStearn 13:24 Sat
In reply to TobyA:

My partner always brings one and we have never placed it either!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.