Phone lanyard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 21 May 2019

Hi, any found one they trust. 

I.e. They would be happy just to let go of the phone 1000 ft off the floor if their mate just jumped off a route?

Thanks 

Robert Durran 21 May 2019
In reply to David Coley:

> I.e. They would be happy just to let go of the phone 1000 ft off the floor if their mate just jumped off a route?

Or if your mate simply looked down and spotted you texting while belaying........

tehmarks 21 May 2019
In reply to David Coley:

If you have a method of making an attachment loop, I've found spring lanyards for ice tools to be a good camera lanyard. On my camera I use the toggles from a Peak Design leash, but usually use my axe lanyard unless it's already being used (ie I'm using my axes). Might be worth a look.

BnB 21 May 2019
In reply to David Coley:

> Hi, any found one they trust. 

> I.e. They would be happy just to let go of the phone 1000 ft off the floor if their mate just jumped off a route?

> Thanks 

I'm puzzled that anyone needs a lanyard at all. Do you have no pockets?

tehmarks 21 May 2019
In reply to BnB:

The modern smartphone is a pretty easy-to-fumble shape.

In reply to David Coley:

I use a Wantalis universal leash.  Also goes bu the name of Mybungee. Short so I usually fix it to a chest pocket. Provides enough insurance that I don't worry so much using my phone camera on a multipitch or at the top of a route. Although my last Xperia survived a 60 footer I'd rather not repeat the xperience. 

Post edited at 20:35
 coldfell 21 May 2019
In reply to David Coley:

https://phonehug.co.uk/  great for climbing, sea kayaking - phones fall out of pockets especially abseiling, plus easy to take photos while belaying - a good solution for me.

OP David Coley 22 May 2019
In reply to coldfell:

that looks perfect.

Thanks everyone

rgold 23 May 2019
In reply to David Coley:

I've been using this https://www.rokform.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/iphone-x-rugged-c...  for a few years.  The wrist strap attachment is a thin bit of cord, which is a bit worrisome, and I frequently inspect it for wear.  That said, it has been great in situations where dropping would be catastrophic.

I've found the magnetic back to be far more useful than I ever imagined as well.

JR 23 May 2019
In reply to David Coley:

Friends use this... seems much neater and you can clip it to a carabiner etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F1Z9WTL/

TobyA 23 May 2019
In reply to David Coley:

I had my phone blown out of my hand whilst taking a photo on Blencathra back in the winter. It mainly landed in snow, but a bit hit a rock that fortunately only crack the screen protector, not the screen itself. I use a rubberised lightly 'armoured' case on mine which I'm sure helped a bit. So although I've done it very rarely I know it is possible to drop your phone when climbing, particularly if you use it as your primary camera.

Last weekend I went to Gogarth (see other thread!) and had the foresight to take off the phone cover, drill two small holes in the bottom of the case and thread a piece of thin but strong nylon cord through it. I tied that into a loop and attached it to a neck loop (made of paracord or similar - I have a number of these from down the years, as I always put my car key on one and tuck that down inside my base layer when winter climbing). This worked really well as on the hanging belays of Wen Zawn you are quite conscious that if you drop anything you won't be getting it back!

So you might already have all the stuff you need for a DIY solution.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...