Petzl Myo XP & Jasmin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 17 Jan 2019

I have one. I bought one (older grey one) when it was still one of the best led headtorches about.

It then suffered the well known problem of the lead breaking at the entry point to the light housing.

Very kindly I was sent a replacement (newer white & orange one) which doesn't suffer from the same breakage.

However by then led technology had moved on and the Myo was no longer a "best buy". I'd have preferred a refund or voucher rather than a replacement and I've been slightly disgruntled about this ever since.

But now, I MIGHT BE WRONG!!!

For three and a half days I've just been watching Jasmin Paris wearing one. What does she know that I don't? Anyone care to enlighten me?

Clauso 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

> For three and a half days I've just been watching Jasmin Paris wearing one. What does she know that I don't? Anyone care to enlighten me?

She knows how to win the Spine Race, and demolish all previous records. 

Rick Graham 17 Jan 2019

I think I only had a couple of the old model, including replacements, before I got tikka xp as replacement.

I quite liked it when it worked, it must have switched on and off when required.

Will look at the newer model, the tikka xp is not quite intense enough sometimes, otherwise excellent.

I also have some model of petzl that always seems harder to switch on than log into a secure website.

Edit, it all seemed a lot easier when a zoom was the obvious choice.

I have a red petzl from 1980  that still works well, had to get one connection soldered around 1987.

Post edited at 17:58
 Timmd 19 Jan 2019

The 'best gear' is often 'second best' at some point eventually. Being Yorkshire bred (but not born), and having decided this, I try and repair and/or use stuff until it's either kaput or I feel self sabotaging. If it's good enough for her.  

Post edited at 22:58
OP Michael Hood 19 Jan 2019
In reply to Timmd:

I suspect it might be because it uses AA batteries (rather than AAA) so maybe lasts longer before needing a battery change.

itsThere 20 Jan 2019

Maybe the regulated output helps if you're going all night with consistent lighting. helps your eyes adjust better if it isnt changing. Just speculating.

It is nice to set it at the levels you want. Other brands must do this..

neuromancer 20 Jan 2019

If you watch enough videos of people going to great extremes of physical endurance you realise that they are always wearing some crap old headtorch that you threw away months ago.

Nobody broke the record for soloing K2 or running the dragon's back wearing a NITECORE 18650 or whatever it is that LED torch nerds tell you to buy. It's always some budget Black Diamond number that takes AA's.

r0b 20 Jan 2019

1. It runs on standard AA batteries so easy to pack/carry enough spares for 3 * 16 hour nights. Headtorches that use built in Li-Ion rechargeable battery packs are not much use on the Spine!

2. You can programme it to use a low light setting to maximize battery life, think you can get a whole night done on one set of AAs if you dial it down enough. And for most of the time on something like the Spine you don't need that many lumens as you aren't going that quick

Fozzy 20 Jan 2019

I had the RXP which I loved to bits. It was brighter than the sun, the filter was ingenious and the light output is regulated I no dim walks home. It’s now relegated to garden use for trips to the log store after a patch & repair job with shrink tube and epoxy (dog chewed the lead, Petzl refused to supply me with a new one as it requires soldering. I teach electronics, but still no...) 

GoOutdooes had the newer model MYO in stock the other week when I was getting the missus an Actik for her Xmas stocking. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...