Petzl Luna or DMM Puma womens harnesses?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ellenclimbs 08 Dec 2012
Which harness would you say is better (based on price value- each harness is £70, durability, safeness etc...) The DMM Puma or the Petzl Luna. The user of this harness will be a 13 year old girl, whom I am getting it for a Christmas present. She is around 5'2, if that helps at all
Thanks,
Ellen
 Jon Wickham 09 Dec 2012
In reply to ellenclimbs: Both these harnesses are good, however finding the right harness is all about fit. If a harness is too big then it is potentially unsafe to use as the wearer may slip out of it during a fall. If at all possible get the girl to try on several sizes of each harness in a shop where the the sales assistant can help you. Then buy the one that gives the best fit.
 Sarah Stirling 10 Dec 2012
In reply to ellenclimbs:

Hi Ellen, for my two pennies worth: both are good quality, good value, durable and safe women's all-rounder harnesses. What do you want the harness for? Indoor climbing, trad, sport...? The Luna has 4 gear loops - your daughter may not need the 7 that the Puma offers - and is comparatively lighter than the equivalent size Puma. However the Puma comes in smaller sizes than the Luna, which might suit your daughter's shape better (I'm 5'3" / size 8 and have an XS Puma). Like Jon says, it would be best to try both on in a shop if possible. I've reviewed the Puma here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2978

Size comparison:

Puma XXS: waist 50-68cm, leg 40-52cm, weight 390g.
Puma XS: waist 59-80cm, leg 50-60cm, weight 430g.
Puma S: waist 67-91cm, 55-65cm, weight 480g.
Luna S: waist 60-71cm, weight 410cm.

Cheers, Sarah
 neil the weak 10 Dec 2012
In reply to ellenclimbs: I'll stick my neck out and recommend a Puma. Both are nice harnesses and while you can't know which (if either) will fit without trying them first but I think your odds of getting it right are a little better with the DMM.

Most differntly it has a "floating" waist belt, meaning you can move the padding around so that it's always symmetrical no matter where the harness is in the adjustment range. This gives you a better chance of getting a good fit blind (wider range of usable adjustment) and means it will remain a decent fit at the waist for longer if she grows much.

The caveats would be is that it's quite a long rise harness, so might end up a bit high on the body of a small person and the legs might not go tight enough if she has really skinny legs. Best to try if you could still really.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...