Petzl Boreo vs Petzl METEOR (ABS vs PC)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 henradical 02 Jan 2020

Hi all,

My last helmet is cracked and overdue for replacement, and so I'm looking for a new helmet that offers both top and side protection. I'm trying to decide between the Petzl Boreo and the Petzl METEOR.

Petzl Boreo - Hard ABS skin, full surround EPP/EPS
    - Makes the most sense to me as ABS spreads load and EPS softens force

Petzl METOR - Thin PC skin, full surround EPS
    - Saves some weight, but no ABS, looks awesome

So my question is, does the Petzl METOR still offer the same impact strength, (falling rock, trad fail and crashing sideways/upsidedown into wall), as the Boreo, and is the weight saving really worth it?

Thanks!

Post edited at 00:36
 PaulW 02 Jan 2020
In reply to henradical:

The weight saving might be worth it but depends on exactly what sort of climbing you intend to do with it.

If you are thinking long alpine days then perhaps.

Or perhaps the durability of the Boreo.......

They are both good helmets

JonLongshanks 02 Jan 2020
In reply to henradical:

I have both and always grab the Boreo unless weight is a real concern... I don't notice the extra grams and find it a lot more comfortable over long days.

SteveD 02 Jan 2020
In reply to henradical:

I replaced my helmet recently and went with the Meteor based on comfort and fit.  I have hit it a few times on overhangs and initially thought that the thin plastic would be cracked or scraped, but can see no damage at all.  The thin plastic seems harder than the plastic on my old shell style helmet.

I use it for Alpine and Trad and am Very happy with it so far.

Steve

Basemetal 02 Jan 2020
In reply to henradical:

I went for a BOREO when I replaced my last helmet, mostly for robustness and carefree handling. Having used it for a season I'm impressed by its all day comfort and lack of any signs of wear. Have to admit I'm not conscious of its weight at all - compared to no helmet, let alone a lighter one. It doesn't look as good as a Meteor though...

PhilMW 02 Jan 2020
In reply to henradical:

I am aware its not in the title but as a detour on this thread I'm going to mention the Black Diamond Vector as an alternative? Is it as good/better/worse? Same kind of price...

spenser 02 Jan 2020
In reply to PhilMW:

A friend took a really bad fall (lip on Kelly's overhang to just above the floor), he hit his head really hard having inverted while wearing a vector. 

He got away without any concussion but did write off the helmet. I would definitely consider a vector if replacing my helmet. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...