Pertex shield pro jacket in a cupboard?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si dH 07 Sep 2020

For reasons of stupidity I have ended up with a brand new jacket I don't actually need. It seems like a really nice jacket and was on a good deal so rather than go to the faff of returning it, I'm inclined just to wrap it back up and put it in the cupboard until my current one wears out. Is there any reason not to do this? Will it be good as new after sitting in a cupboard for a couple of years or will it degrade?

It's a Rab Mantra, made of pertex shield pro (3 layer)

Thanks!

Frank R. 07 Sep 2020
In reply to Si dH:

Might depend on how long will it stay in the cupboard...

I am not exactly sure about the chemistry of the actual membrane, but I think it is a polyurethane hydrophilic non-porous one? PU is somewhat susceptible to hydrolysis and degradation even in long term storage, even if it might it might be the more environmentally sound option unlike some fluorocarbons. One of my old SympaTex jacket membrane basically peeled off flaking after a decade of not even using it, just like some boots insoles disintegrating. Of course, there are many formulations now and the chemistry might have gotten much better, but you might be better using it or selling it than just storing it for a decade while it might degrade itself. Probably wouldn't be an issue unless you have it in the cupboard for a really long time, though.

bouldery bits 07 Sep 2020
In reply to Si dH:

Personally, I'd run 2 jackets concurrently thereby expanding the life of each. 

Dave the Rave 07 Sep 2020
In reply to Si dH:

£15 posted?

OP Si dH 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Frank R.:

Interesting, thanks. It wouldn't be a decade - the longest lasting waterproof I've had has been 6-7 years and I tend to keep using them after they cease working well until I am getting too wet. I can't imagine keeping my current one going more than 3-4 years but that certainly gives me pause for thought.

OP Si dH 08 Sep 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Personally, I'd run 2 jackets concurrently thereby expanding the life of each. 

I would be happy to do that but would have thought it would end up increasing the life of each by somewhat less than 100% thereby reducing the overall time they were useful for...?

MischaHY 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Si dH:

> I would be happy to do that but would have thought it would end up increasing the life of each by somewhat less than 100% thereby reducing the overall time they were useful for...?

But you'll be a lovely stylish multi-jacket wearing fella whilst doing it. Silver Lining (E5 5c)

Post edited at 07:52
 gethin_allen 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Si dH:

My only concern would be that after years in the cupboard you'd get it out to use and find something random wrong with it and be unable to return/repair it on warranty. 

Maybe as someone else suggested, go for the two jacket approach but keep the new one for things like walking where there's less chance of wear and damage.

In reply to Si dH:

I bought a very nice Gore cycling jacket which for various reasons I didn't get to use for 3-5 years. But started using a couple of years ago.

The main body of the jacket is OK so far but the sleeve velcro delaminated.

Not quite the same thing but a Pertex jacket I have kept in my rucksack as an emergency water proof for about 4 years has definitely degraded but that is getting some wear even though I've only worn it a couple of times a year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...