Permethrin for clothes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 28 Apr 2022

This spring has already been a record breaker for tick bites and I'd like to fight back against the little bastards.

I've heard good things about treating clothes with permethrin. A quick Google reveals a number of products but I'm unsure what's the best. I'd like a reasonable volume at the optimum concentration to treat lots of kit.

Any suggestions?

Ta

Edit: Sawyer permethrin looks like it might be the stuff, anyone used it?

Post edited at 07:02
 CantClimbTom 28 Apr 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

I spray trouser legs (as well as boots/socks/ankle/calf) below the knee when starting out as I'm sure many people do.

But, do you mean some kind of soaking/washing machine treatment for the clothes as well? like an anti tick equivalent to water repellent products?

timparkin 28 Apr 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

I use the Sawyer Permethrin. For the most efficient use of it, I put the clothes in big zip lock bags and pour some in then squish around and leave for a couple of hours.

You can then squeeze the clothes into the bottom of the bag, put them out to dry and put some more in the bag. Seems the least wasteful for the most treatment where you need it. 

I also spray a few things that don't need full treatment (like other trousers below the thigh), arms of a few tops. 

Don't forget, before the stuff dries, it can kill cats. Once dried, even when rewetted, it's safe. (I'm still careful with wet treated clothes though). 

I treat socks, trousers and spray trainers/boots. I also do a couple of tops that I know to wear if I'm going somewhere really bad and doing something where I'm close to the ground (photography for instance). 

OP DaveHK 28 Apr 2022
In reply to timparkin:

Thanks for the tips. 

Where doyou get the Sawyer stuff? I could only see it on ebay.

AukWalk 28 Apr 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

No idea how to gauge the quality or effectiveness, but I have some lifesystems ex4 anti mosquito fabric spray, and the active ingredient in that is permethrin.  When I last looked at the options a few years ago it seemed to be one of the few permethrin fabric treatment products available in the UK - don't think I saw the sawyer stuff anywhere. 

Was in the lakes last week and saw loads of ticks on the dog, didn't find any on myself, but bit of a wake up call about how common they seem to be this year (or possibly just the area we walked through...) having only ever seen a couple in the Lakes in the past in all the years I've been walking there.  Haven't actually treated my trousers etc since last year, but will do so again before my next outing. The bottle says to redo it every 2 weeks, don't know whether that frequency is actually necessary or not, unless you're wearing them every day...

Post edited at 10:29
 Toerag 28 Apr 2022
In reply to timparkin:

How well does it actually work?

Harry Jarvis 28 Apr 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> Thanks for the tips. 

> Where doyou get the Sawyer stuff? I could only see it on ebay.

https://www.brownells.co.uk/PERMETHRIN-INSECT-REPELLENT-for-Clothing-Gear-S...

The Sawyer website also has a 'Where to buy' page, although this doesn't say which products are available at the various retailers. 

https://www.sawyereurope.com/where-to-buy-products

timparkin 28 Apr 2022
In reply to Toerag:

> How well does it actually work?

It's amazing to see the ticks crawl around for a bit then slow and finally fall off.. I'd say very effective but needs retreating after a few cycles of washing. I do it every year around this time... 

I think I bought mine from ebay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...