'Permanent' Tree Anchor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richmond_Mike 23 Sep 2019

I'm thinking about adding/replacing some old rigging rope tree anchors at our local crag and wanted to do a good job of it and I'm happy to spend some money in the process. Obviously I could buy some new rigging rope and mallions but it got me thinking if there was a more 'permanent' option. I'm thinking of the chain that links two bolts on a sport anchor and wondered why I'd never seen a length of chain looped around a block or tree.

Ultimately I'm looking for a option that is safe, can be used all season and doesn't damage the health of the tree. Thoughts or references?

brianjcooper 23 Sep 2019
In reply to Richmond_Mike:

I would have thought just a chain would cause the links to cut into the bark of the tree. I've seen chains used with a heavy plastic 'tube' coating on abseil stations which seems to work better.  Is walking to the base of the crag not less damaging to the trees?    

DaveHK 23 Sep 2019

A wire strop threaded though a length of garden hose (or similar) and made into a loose loop with clamps. Mallion or screwgate for the rope.

Post edited at 20:33
 PaulJepson 23 Sep 2019

Yeah a wire strop is the way to go. They have them occasionally if the crag angels are feeling generous. Lyon make them: https://www.abaris.co.uk/prod/anchor-strops/Lyon-Wire-Anchor-Strops.htm

Join with a triangular maillon with a stainless ab ring in it.

Bish bash bosh. 

And thank you.

Mark Stevenson 24 Sep 2019

> I'm thinking of the chain that links two bolts on a sport anchor and wondered why I'd never seen a length of chain looped around a block or tree.

You just haven't climbed at enough crags...

There's a very old chain around a block at the top of  Gimmer Crag and there are some relatively new chains in place around blocks at  Lower Sharpnose Point.

However, as already mentioned, for trees, plastic covered cables are probably the better option.

Although with either option it's definitely worth glueing any maillons shut (superglue or araldite) as rather annoyingly fixed gear can occasionally disappear

OP Richmond_Mike 24 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Yeah the Lyon cables look the business. I think ill follow that route!

Walking off the back/top would be the preference but this grassy bank is very sketchy and steep. Thanks for all the replies folks, a great help as always.

Toerag 24 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

> A wire strop threaded though a length of garden hose (or similar) and made into a loose loop with clamps. Mallion or screwgate for the rope.

Not the smartest idea - the wire will corrode inside the hose where you can't see it.

To the OP - if you look at high rope courses (Go Ape etc.) they use load spreading 'sticks' around the trees before clamping the wire onto them. It would be beneficial for the tree if you could do something similar on the back side.

Post edited at 12:24
 alex_arthur 24 Sep 2019
In reply to brianjcooper:

Walking to the base causes a lot of erosion and damage to landscape. More well positioned descent anchors including bolts would be a better alternative in many venues in my opinion 

alex_arthur 24 Sep 2019

A pair of well positioned bolts with appropriate hardware would meet all of your objectives 

Simon Caldwell 24 Sep 2019

Which crag?

PaulJepson 24 Sep 2019
In reply to alex_arthur:

> A pair of well positioned bolts with appropriate hardware would meet all of your objectives 

Don't open that can of worms. 

A strop will be fine if you want to set a permanent ab anchor and have solid trees at the top.

Don't encourage people to start taking a drill to the crag.  

pass and peak 24 Sep 2019

May I ask if you could do this well meaning act in conjunction with, or at least the knowledge of your local BMC affiliated club and the access rep! might find they'll have some resources you can use, at the very least it will be done under consensus and save you some possible future grief. Nice to see people thinking about the impact these tree anchors have on the trees/environment though 

DaveHK 24 Sep 2019
In reply to Toerag:

> Not the smartest idea - the wire will corrode inside the hose where you can't see it.

I wasn't suggesting it would be a fit and forget thing. No lower off solution is permanent and all kit needs to be periodically inspected. If the covering is split along its length it can be easily inspected.

The Lyon strop is much the same as my suggestion, albeit with a see through covering.

Post edited at 16:00
 Frank R. 24 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Doesn't the hose actually accelerate corrosion, as it can trap moisture and water inside, like tape over steel wire (I think it was a common problem on some via ferratas)? I would be a bit wary of installing something that can't be easily visually inspected or the inspection might be neglected, but that's just armchair talk from me 

DaveHK 24 Sep 2019
In reply to Frank R.:

TBH I'm not sure. I've seen it done and I'd be happy using such a set up if I knew when it went in but agree about it having potential to rust. The lyon strop would have the same issue though and the clear plastic might not stay that way so inspection would be difficult with that too. 

Darron 24 Sep 2019

You are the guy that ‘improved’ Earl Sterndale and I claim my £5. 😉

Misha 25 Sep 2019
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Also the tree abseil anchor at the top of High Tor and the block abseil anchor at the top of Brant Direct / Brant P1 on the Grochan. There must be plenty more examples. Neater than layers of decaying tat and probably longer lasting but harder to replace. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...